Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Service Engine light on and cannot get codes, using jumper…

Customer Question
Service Engine light on and...
Service Engine light on and cannot get codes, using jumper lead to connect pins a & b ... Light stays on and does not go into diagnostic mode ... HELP HELP
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Chevy
12/21/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 1 month ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

First off, what two pins did you jump, the top two on the left, or the bottom two on the left?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
The upper pins to the right - pins A&B

Thank you. I had to make sure you had the correct pins. Does the check engine light stay on with the engine running?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
but earlier about a month ago it was intermittent, some mornings it would not come and some days it would be on ...

When you tried to get it to go into diagnostic mode, did you jump the pins, and then turn the ignition switch to the run position?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
as per my Haynes shop manuel

When you first turned the switch to the run position, was the check engine light on or off?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
On

You are going to have to clear the ecm. What I want you to do is remove the jumper, make sure everything is turned off, radio, ac, heat, and all lights. Close the doors and remove the negative battery cable from the battery for 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, reconnect the battery and start the engine. Let it run for 5 minutes at 2000 rpms. Shut the engine off install your jumper and turn the switch back to run, DO NOT START THE ENGINE. See if the check engine will flash any codes. Also see if the check engine light comes on with the switch in the run position and goes out when you reconnect the battery. While it is running for the 5 minutes at 2000 rpms, tell me if the check engine light comes on during this time.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks, I'll try that (I disconnected the battery before) I'll try it tomorrow and get back to you ... Thanks for the info

Chat with you tomorrow.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thanks again

You are very welcome.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I disconnected the battery last night and am reconnecting it this morning in hopes that your procedure works, crossing my fingers (LOL) ... I'll let you know if it works
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK I tried the procedure and it didn't work, light still stays on ... It consistently stays on even with the jumper installed ...

Then you have a problem. The first thing we need to do is see if the cluster has a short in it. Can you remove the cluster so we can do some testing?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I should remove the cluster?

Yes please. We need to test the wires to the cluster and see if the check engine light is shorted, or if the ecm is commanding it on.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Well I'm busy with something else right now but I will try it later to check the cluster wiring ... I will post the results later

Let me know when you get the cluster out and I will go over each yest with you. There are specific tests I need you to do, and each test result will tell me what to test next.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
OK thanks

Chat with you soon.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Hello ***** didn't get back with you sooner, as per our last chat I've checked the wiring harness and believe the problem to be in the electrical system ... I'll have to check further into the wiring system and will get back to you with my findings, thanks for your help so far ... Will chat with you soon

Thank you for the update.

GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician