Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Its a 2004 gmc yukonxl suddenly key will not turn it's in…

Customer Question
Its a 2004 gmc...

Its a 2004 gmc yukonxl suddenly key will not turn it's in park

Mechanic's Assistant: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?

Yes can turn, should lock right?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '04 GMC?

Not sure model not denali

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Key is two sided flipped to no avail

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

At landfill, so hope to fix myself

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 5 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

the key will go all the way and not turn at all even with forcing steering wheel right or left ?

Key will unsert all the way, and go back to acc but not forward
Must be with tge shifter, which is acting funny
Retrieved spare key and no diff

lube up the key hole with WD40 or something close to that work the key in and out hard of it still will turn with the key all the way in strike the back side of the key with a hammer a few times with a hammer as you are trying to turn it and see if it will turn

if it turns and starts then have the ignition lock cylinder changed

if it will not turn no matter what have a lock smith come out and replace the key and tublers

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Steering wheel is not locking

then there has to be a key tumbler bad in the ignition lock clyider

try what i said

Makes me wonder if not in park even if though i have romoved cowling and can see it is in park spot
How do i hotwirw
I entered this chat asking how to hotwire and paid for that knowhow

there is nothing to hot wire

the key needs to turn physically

there is a tumbler issue

Waste of 5
The gal headhunts well though

what ?

I paid $5 to find out how to hotwire this thing. No matter, I figured it out. There's a cable that runs from the ignition to the shifter and it couldn't be depressed by the shifter cuz its tip broke off so I pushed it with a screw and voila, key could turn
Maybe it's odd but now you know it for next time
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 5 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

New expert, do you mind if I try to help you with this problem?

I googled how to hotwire my yukon and this chat popped up..... offered to give me answer for $5......well okay, figured quicker than watching YouTube since I was stranded......but there was no help to hotwire, and was told to get new ignition. NO HELP......upon further inspection i found the cable that runs from ignition to shifter was not able to depress because its tip broke off.....so used a screw and key was able to turn on vehicleWould appreciate refund

Sorry you had a hard time. I will pout in for your refund for you.

Thank you
Merry Christmas
kalamykid
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech