Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a lean code for the O2 sensor. I sprayed water around…

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a lean code for the O2 sensor. I sprayed water around any possible vacuum leak areas. The engine studdered and I could hear the sucking around the rear pvc hose inlet. I narrowed the search with me water and noticed that the sucking noise is around the rear seal for the valve cover where it matches up. I did change the gasket a couple years back. The leak is located toward the rear and seems to go inbetween the hoses pluimbed into the cover. Question is, does the valve cover or part of it hold vacuum, maybe the seal was lost, could have cracked in between. BTW, it is a 2008 Chevy Aveo5. THX. Need to repair for emission to pass here in NY. UGH

Mechanic's Assistant: What part of the car is the leak coming from? And are you sure it's water?

I sprayed water instead of a flammable liquid to find the vacuum leak. Cheaper and not flammable.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2008 Chevy Aveo5. % speed

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Doing myself. Good with a wrench. Searched and found the vacuum leak. I believe its the valve cover and not the intake. Trying to confirm if there is some sort of vacuum in the valve cover that could leak. I unplugged the hose on the rear right of the engine and had good vacuum. Seems to be leaking on the mating syrface between plastic and steel.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I've been searching to try and find the vacuum routing and nothing really talks about any in the valve cover. There is vacuum there. Not sure if there is something in the valve cover that is sucking air.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/20/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 7 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

Can you post a picture of the affected area???

no on the valve cover gasket. there should be no vacuum there. it is to prevent oil loss.

Roy

Sent a picture. I removed hose A and cut shorter because it had a small crack in it. I also put external vacuum to it off the car and it had no leak. Hose A goes to the air intake hose just after the air cleaner box. When I did remove hose A there was vacuum from the connector to the valve cover. It had good vacuum that did fall off after I let it go, but did come right back. I did not remove hose B and check again for vacuum. While spraying water along the valve cover, I noticed the sucking noise and engine fall off while putting water between area A and B along the edge of the valve cover. I soaked, poured water, over the injectors below this area and the engine did not stumble. I believe the air intake is much lower than the area I was soaking down. Since I did have a vacuum from outlet A in the valve cover, I am tending to believe my leak is in the area near A and B. Maybe B is supplying some sort of vacuum to point A and there is a leak in the cover. Didn't want to remove again if not needed just to look under. I did see somewhere of some "PVC rupture disk" inside the cover. Maybe it is leaking? Clicked on the add file. Didn't show it attached. How do I send it. Thank you Roy

looks and sounds like your leak is the intake manifold gasket.

There is vacuum coming from the valve cover. The pvc is at location B I believe. Big difference from resealing the valve cover or replacing the pvc and changing the $9 intake gaskets. Haven't crawled under the car yet to spray directly onto the intake. You are telling me the intake is up tight to the valve cover gasket location then? That leak appears to be located right on the lip where the tip of the red arrow points to. Running between the arrows. Would a faulty pvc cause vacuum in the valve cover all the time? Haven't been able to locate a picture of the back of the block that shows where the intake bolts up to the engine so I can see the proximity of the sucking air. I checked all the forums also and only came up with the 2009 Chevy Cruize that had a valve cover vacuum leak. Why would there be vacuum there then? Trying to pin it right down to a better answer. I guessed the intake too before finding the vacuum in the valve cover.

yes, the valve itself could cause vacuum in the valve cover.

the intake bolts up to the head just under the valve cover.

try the pcv valve first.

Roy

any update