Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a hose on top/back side of manifold that isnt

Customer Question
I have a hose...

I have a hose on top/back side of manifold that isnt connected to anything on the other side and car wont stay running after changing spark ugs and wires. where does the other end of this hose go?

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Car was running prior to changing spark pligs and wires. while changing spark plugs and wires, son noticed a hose on top/back side of manifold that is comnected there, but not to anything else. var noe cranks but dies after a few seconds

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2004 chevy impala

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Was running a little bad so my son changed the spark plugs and noticed during, the hose isnt hooked to anything...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

The car vranks better than ever then the engine shakes after a gew seconds rhen dies... spark pligs and wires were changed one at a time as not to get them confused

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/19/2017
Chevy Mechanic: K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician

Hello, it sounds like the hose being off is causing a vacuum leak. What's the eight VIN character? I will provide you with a vacuum hose diagram so we can get it reconnected.

F
Waiting on your call...
The wait is Getting me nervous that I'm getting scammed. Please send vacuum diagram while waiting also...

I am unable to provide a phone call. Another expert may call you. the eighth number should be k,1 or e

Sorry. Its an e

I appreciate that and your patience. Below is the vacuum diagram. Look it over and let me know if you have any issues.

No additional charge since we could call direct
The hose I am talking about isn't on the diagram.

Could you upload a picture of the hose and show the area it's in?

Where the engine says '3400 sfi', I have a hose coming out of where the engine says '4'

Thanks let me open this back up to others to see if anyone else has a better diagram.

Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

That is your PCV hose and it connects to the PCV valve on the PCV valve in the valve cover

There is a nipple on the intake by the mass air meter and it has two branches, one to the front shown in the video and one to the back shown in your photo.

In the video I sent me, the hose I'm talking about is by his screwdriver.. Not what your talking about
I'm going to send u a picture of the hose. Please just tell me where to connect the other end, they is now currently hooked to nothing.. Just dangling!

Follow that hose over to the right of your hand and see the nipple on the top of the rubber intake duct. That hose goes there. The other hose on that nipple goes to the front for the second valve.

Can u call me? Last tech couldn't call. You can walk my son thru it via phone?

I am unable to speak on the phone sorry. As diagrams and photos are needed it would not be productive in any case.

in the picture I sent u, the hose his hand is on, unconnect it? I'm not understanding what your wanting me to do...
The thing he's pointing to is the only thing to the right that has a nipple... Is this what is connected wrong? Cuz we didn't touch this pc when changing spark plugs and wires...

Follow down and there will be a plastic tube to slip in the end of your hose, it probably slipped out of the end of the rubber hose in your picture.

Second pic points to the MAP valve, the booster hose is large and the round black thing on the firewall side of your brake master cylinder reservoir is the booster, its hose runs from that elbow to the intake.

Take a look at this (click here)

If the first person I talked to would have listened and sent this pic or said brake booster I wouldn't have a tow truck on the way to haul my car to the mechanic! Thanks anyway...

I could not reply til they dropped out. I hope I was some help though.

you were.. But unfortunately I need the car for work today and couldn't afford to play with them anymore so off it goes to the mechanic for something I COULD have fixed myself had they just listened to what I was saying! Are u local to Lafayette louisiana area?

Sorry I am in Florida

That sux.. Because the mechanics here are not good at all! We need someone like u here!

Give me a zipcode and I will check your area, maybe you just don't know about them.

70507

You are challenged with finding a mechanic there....

There are only 3 within 50 miles that I would try and I know nothing about these shops

Bourques Auto Repair

Phone:(###) ###-####

*****
Lafayette, Louisiana 70506

You surely know more about them than I do..

Farley's Automotive

Phone:(###) ###-####

*****
Jennings, Louisiana 70546

and the furthest...

Randy's Service Center

Phone:(###) ###-####

606 S. Polk
Welsh, Louisiana 70591

Which seems to be the best choice if not for the distance.

See what I'm saying? Lol
Thanks for everything!

Yeah, not a lot of choice there. How is Baton Rouge?

Is that an option?

Its about an hour away and I work in baton rouge 2 weeks out of the .month... Any good ones?

Let me look,

I did see Stan's***** Lafayette, LA 70503

Has good reviews and seems like a well run shop.

Not a member of the professional organization I am but not everyone is

Sorry, I don't see anything beyond a Yelp or a google ratings search would get you in Baton Rouge. You have a lot of shops in Lafayette, I think there must be a local source for a recommendation of good shops that I can't access but you should be able to. Local facebook or something like that?

George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician