Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Clean exist filter keep driving light has been on for a few…

Customer Question
Clean exist filter keep...

Clean exist filter keep driving light has been on for a few days, know truck has gone into reduce engine power mode, check engine light is on code 2463

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?

When you turn off the truck then turn it back on it will run fine for a few min but then goes back to reduce engine power mode

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your MINI?

2013 Chevy 2500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?

Just checked the engine code, I'd like to repair it myself

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/18/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 7 months ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, unfortunately once the fault code P2463 is set, the self cleaning procedure - drive for 20 minutes straight with speed never falling below 35mph - will no longer work. At this point, the only way to clean the filter is using a factory scan tool to force the cleaning/regeneration process. See the service bulletin below on this.

Once you have this done, then in the future if the clean exhaust filter message comes on, do the above mentioned process which will keep it from reaching the point of the fault code being set and going into reduce engine power mode.

#10-06-05-002E: Clean Exhaust Filter See Owners Manual Now, Cleaning Exhaust Filter Keep Driving Until Message is Cleared or Diesel Partic Filter is Full Continue Driving Displayed on DIC, DTC P2463 May Be Set - (Sep 7, 2017)

Subject: CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL NOW, CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER KEEP DRIVING UNTIL MESSAGE IS CLEARED or DIESEL PARTIC FILTER IS FULL CONTINUE DRIVING Displayed on DIC, DTC P2463 May Be Set image

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Kodiak

2007-2018 Chevrolet Express, Silverado

2014-2015 Chevrolet Cruze

2017-2018 Chevrolet Cruze

2016-2018 Chevrolet Colorado

2007-2009 GMC TopKick

2007-2018 GMC Savana, Sierra

2016-2018 GMC Canyon

All Equipped with Diesel Engine RPO L5P, LML, LGH, LUZ, or LWN

Attention: This Bulletin also applies to any of the above models that may be Export from North America vehicles.

This Bulletin has been revised to add the 2018 Model Year. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 10-06-05-002D.

Depending on the Model, Model Year of the vehicle and the Diesel Engine, one of the following messages will be displayed in the driver information center (DIC) when a diesel particulate filter (DPF) cleaning is required:

“CLEAN EXHAUST FILTER SEE OWNERS MANUAL NOW”

“CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER KEEP DRIVING UNTIL MESSAGE IS CLEARED”

“CLEANING EXHAUST FILTER CONTINUE DRIVING”

“DIESEL PARTIC FILTER IS FULL CONTINUE DRIVING”

“DIESEL PARTIC (Particulate) FILTER IS FULL CONTINUED DRIVING MANDATORY”

Either DIC message may be accompanied by DTC P2463.

The DPF will clean itself as part of normal operation. Several factors including fuel consumed, hours of engine operation and miles driven are monitored by the engine control module (ECM). The self-cleaning occurs approximately once per tank of fuel. Under certain driving conditions, such as extended idling, stop-and-go traffic, etc., the DPF cannot clean itself.

Notice: Instruct the customer that in order for the filter to clean itself, the vehicle must be driven above 30 mph (50 km/h) until the message clears.

If the customer continues to drive with the DPF warning message displayed and the exhaust filter is not cleaned as required, the malfunction indicator lamp will illuminate and the ENGINE POWER IS REDUCED message will display and dealer service will be necessary.

Do This

Don't Do This

Inform the customer about the importance of taking the messages seriously.

Instruct the customer to operate the vehicle within the driving conditions necessary for a self cleaning of the DPF to occur WHEN the message appears.

DO NOT submit a warranty claim for a Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Service Regeneration when DTC P2463 is set and a system malfunction is NOT found.

Messages Displayed in the Driver Information Center (DIC) When DPF Cleaning is Required

If any of the messages appear on the driver information center (DIC) then a DPF cleaning (regeneration) is required. This messages are displayed to NOTIFY the DRIVER that the status of the vehicle has changed and ACTION is required by the DRIVER to correct the condition. The messages are not a onetime display and will occur periodically through the lifetime of the vehicle when a DPF regeneration is required based on engine run time, fuel consumed and distance traveled since the last DPF regeneration.

Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle.

Is DTC P2463 set?

If DTC P2463 is set, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle in SI. After following the diagnostic procedure return to this bulletin and PROCEED to Step 3.

If DTC P2463 is not set, then proceed to Step 3 and inform the customer as indicated.

Notice: ADVISE THE CUSTOMER ABOUT ALL OF THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION:

The importance of the message and responding to it immediately. Clearing the message will only make the message disappear temporarily and not correct the problem.

Guide the customer to their Owners Manual or Diesel Engine Supplement and review the information titled: “Diesel Particulate Filter”, in order to familiarize them with the operation of the system.

Extended idle time MUST be avoided while the message is displayed because the DPF system is not capable of self cleaning at idle.

Instruct the customer that the most efficient way to clean the filter is to DRIVE the vehicle at more than 30 mph (50 km/h) UNTIL the warning message goes OFF.

Ignoring the message and continuing to drive with the warning message ON and the exhaust filter not being cleaned as required will eventually result in the following:

The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) will illuminate at which point the DPF warning message will be displayed and a chime will also sound.

Diagnostic Trouble Code DTC P2463 will be set as a result of excessive soot loading in the DPF.

The Engine Power Is Reduced message will be displayed. The engine WILL operate in reduced engine power when this occurs.

Once this occurs, self cleaning of the DPF is no longer possible and dealer service will be necessary.

Possible irreversible damage to the DPF may occur, requiring repair or replacement.

Advise the customer that if following the diagnostic procedure for DTC P2463 in SI results in a DPF system malfunction NOT BEING found, the Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Service Regeneration SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED TO GM WARRANTY.

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Unless you have a further question on this, at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

at this time please click the OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE 3 STARS OR HIGHER to pay for services rendered per your customer agreement as this is a PAYSITE and experts are not paid for their time, services, or knowledge until you do so. Thank you.

Chevy Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 6 months ago

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.If not, at this time please RATE the answer.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

Please note that your expert pays for requested directions out of pocket for your benefit. Failure to give a positive rating means that the expert will no longer be able to provide this service at substantial savings to you