Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 97 chevy silverado 5.7L vortec with engine no start…

Customer Question
I have a 97 chevy...
I have a 97 chevy silverado 5.7L vortec with engine no start but was putting fuel in the intake to start it and drive it each time . Very doggy when accelerating fuel pressure test made just to 50 but lost all pressure in seconds.pressure waa 50 lbs at idle and stayed at 50 even when increasing the rpms Replaced fuel pump and fuel filter . Now i cant get over 30 lbs pressure and wont stay running when putting fuel in the intake. Also a noisy grinding like sound in near the spider assembly inside the intake plenum when turning key on off kinda delayed with timing of the pump. ive done a half dozen fuel pumo replacements but this one has got me! Please help? Thanks
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The noise under the plenum in the intake as well as pressure loss issues indicates to me from here the fault is the fuel pressure regulator itself.This regulator is attached to the fuel injector spider unit under the plenum and is known to make odd noises when it is releasing pressure through the return or leaking.The upper plenum needs removed ( you can get a seal kit for the plenum only to reinstall it as well as a separate fuel pressure regulator).Once removed the regulator needs replaced.It is held in place on the injector unit with a snap ring and is easily accessed and seen with the plenum off.You also want to check when the plenum is removed if there are any cracked fuel lines or injector lines causing this issue.You can easily see these as well.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Ok thank you for confirming what I had thought that may be, am I able to question you again under this same session regarding any issues with it or is that another session?

Your welcome

If it is related to the issues here you can come back here at any time and reply even after a rating is left.If it is a new issue it has to be opened as a new question, unfortunately.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete