Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have 1999 chevy suburban during a cross country trip it…

Customer Question
Hello i have 1999...

Hello i have 1999 chevy suburban during a cross country trip it would not start after taking a break at a gas station in Louisiana. I called AAA and using ether in the air intake and rapping the gas tank with a mallet it started right up

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Entering florida I was advised not to turn the car off until I had reached my destination of miami. the car struggle until the end with the seat belt light illumintating the gas pump spurting for a second or two then kicking back in. i used the ether trip 3 separate times in the last 10 miles to its destination. Car cranks very well but does not start at all

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the fuel filter. but i believe its electric bc the seatbelt lights and not turning over after strong better cranking

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I'm just trying to get it running so i can sell it. I'll disclose all to the future buyer. It served its purpose of California to Miami like a dying champion. proud of that car for hauling it

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Using starting fluid and tapping the gas tank indicates the common fault of the fuel pump itself.The fuel pump was a very common issue on this model to cause this issue here with the pump needs to be replaced.When it was tapped on at the tank this allowed it to work enough to drive it although it wasn't working properly.The fuel pump needs to be replaced which involves removing the fuel tank to have it replaced.The charge can run around $500 to have replaced.

The seatbelt light is a separate issue and isn't related to the no start or running fault issue.If this light is coming on when the seat belt is buckled in this indicates the fault is the driver's seat belt buckle.It fails internally electronically causing this issue here with it needing replaced.This is a separate issue from the fuel pump being faulty.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete