Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

I have a 2006 equinox that only starts one out of every

Customer Question
10-15 attempts. When it doesn’t...
I have a 2006 equinox that only starts one out of every 10-15 attempts. When it doesn’t start, it won’t even turn over. When it does start, it runs for about 3 seconds and shuts off. I have tried googling this and it appears to be a terrible problem with these cars. Unfortunately there aren’t many replies with resolutions to the problem. I saw the pcm as a big culprit, but it appears the one on this car was recently replaced as it has a newer refurbished model. Is this anti theft related?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 2 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

Thanks

yes this issue is usually an anti theft issue

99 % of these replacing the passlock sensor which is built into the outer ignition lock cylinder case then performing a relearn should correct this type of issue which is very common for these

# 10 in this picture

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

The person I bought it from advised it’s been replaced multiple times now and still has the issue. Can it be the relearn that didn’t happen? Do you have instructions on the specifically?

see if this will get it to run

30-minute Learn Procedure
1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON. The vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1-4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes. The vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.
6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password.

IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

Does this only work If the car turns over before turning it back to ACC? The security icon doesn’t stay on current state.

either or

so it does not stay ON ?

Correct. When turning the key all the way to start it but actually starting it, the light shuts off along with all the lights on the right side of the dash. (Rpm side)
I just noticed when it does start, the small wrench and oil light come on on the bottom right.

when it will NOT crank can you see is the small wire at the starter shows close to 12 volts when you hold the key to crank position ?

I assume someone needs to be holding the the key in cranj position while another is checking it. I will advise when I can get help.

ok

also with your fingers on the relay called starter in the under hood fuse box do you feel that relay click with your fingers everytime the key is held to the crank position ?

it clicks every time

of if it clicks it can not be the theft system or computer

if its clicking everything is telling the relay to operate the starter

the issue will usually be a bad relay or connection where the relay plugs into or most common the starter is just bad

if you have close to 12 volts at the small purple wire at the starter solenoid when the key is held to crank then the starter is bad

Something else to note is the fuel pump doesn’t even kick on unless it’s one of the times that it starts. Can it be fuel pump related? It’s just weird that there is no crank or anything happening the times it doesn’t start.

if that starter relay clicks it should not be related

see about the 12 volts at the small purple wire next

we could have an under hood fuse box failure if there is no power at the purple but the relay clicks which would explain most of your issues

It has power. Relays were changed, same symptoms.

the purple does at the starter ?

if so be sure the connections are clean and tight at the starter if so the starter is bad

I’d be glad to change the starter to see if that does the trick, but why would the fuel pump not even engage during the times it doesn’t turn over? I feel that says it’s programming or electrical.
also why would the car shut off after it’s started if it was the starter?

hard to tell but we first need to fix the starter issue

it should be cranking over if the purple shows 12 volts at it

we need to fix what we know is bad to start

how are you making out ?

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician