Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2003 Impala. A few years ago it was giving me

Customer Question
HI I have a...

HI I have a 2003 Impala. A few years ago it was giving me issues with passlock. I constantly had to do the flashing security 10 minute reset thing. I disassembled the dash and pulled the key out. I messed with the magnet, the wires etc. The security light stayed lit, but it started just fine. Its been working fine, with the security light solid, for 2 years. Yesterday I reset the BCM with a scanner and now the car will not start. The security light continues to stay on solid, no change in this behavior. I have confirmed it is passlock. I pulled the relay under the hood, shorted the starter terminals, it cranks over, runs for a few seconds, then dies. I have replaced the relay as well, it never gets energized..... I have ordered a new key and cylinder complete unit, including magnet, and it will be here later today, do you think this will fix the issue or is the BCM just finally fried?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

Solid and yes, I have tried reset several times

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

See above explaination

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Also, when I rescanned and reset the BCM again, it did throw a code B2958. I did not realize that the battery was low, I believe the system voltage was around 10v when the initial reset was done. I have since connected a charger and ensured the system was at 12v and reset the BCM again, still no luck. The security light just stays lit solid.
This is the unit I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C25GRI0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 7 months ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience: Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign & Domestic vehicles A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air Conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you,I will try to help you with this issue

the unit ordered is correct and they do fail , but the B2958 indicate a BCM issue and are most common based on what have you done so far ,bcm losing the syn on the keys intermittently and now quit completely

now bcm will need programmed it is not plug and play ,so you will need a capable scanner for that

You are very welcome :)

Please Read Below How to Get Back in touch with Me

Please Take a Second and Click the Stars at the Top of Your Screen To Rate Me , So I May Receive my Credit , A 5 Stars Rating is Much Appreciated

Follow Up Questions are Included in The Price of Your Question ,So Feel Free To Ask Me.

Please Keep in Mind that when you Rate Me , it Does Not End our Conversation.

You Can Always Come Back to this Conversation and Ask Me any Follow up Question you May have on this Issue

(You can Copy this Link Page & Paste it in your Browser when Ready and it will Open up our Conversation Again)

or there should be a Tab on your Screen to Add me As Your Favorite Expert

I'm Online Daily from 7 Am Till Late Eastern Time Zone

Thank You
Chad Farhat