Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

DO NOT HAVE 1991 KEY, CAR V8 ENGINE WILL NOT START~ AND

Customer Question
DO NOT HAVE 1991...

DO NOT HAVE 1991 KEY, CAR V8 ENGINE WILL NOT START~

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

YES AND NOW... NO KEY, TURNS OVER, WON'T START, DON'T KNOW WHICH RESISTOR IT NEEDS!

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '91 Chevy?

RS CAMARO

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Camaro yourself? What have you tried so far?

EVERYTHING WE CAN THINK OF BY BYPASSING, HOTWIRING ALL SYSTEMS...

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

HOW TO FIGURE OUT THE NEEDED RESISTOR VALUE... THE LOCAL CHEVY DEALER SAYS IT COULD BE ONE OF 4 POSSIBLE RESISTOR SYSTEMS... WE NEED TO GET THE CAR OUT OF THE DRIVEWAY, CAN'T DECODE IT WITH VIN NUMBERS...

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/17/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 8 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

The dealer you talked to was wrong, there are 15 different resisters for the key. If you have lost the key, then you have two options, replace the decoder module with a matching key, or get all 15 pelet keys and see what resister will work in your car.