Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1994 chevy cavalier wont shift out of first gear, 14 years…

Customer Question
1994 chevy cavalier wont...

1994 chevy cavalier wont shift out of first gear

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch?

14 years and what brake switch?

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the fluid slips when in reverse 1st gear is fine but wont go to second or drive

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Had the top of the engine tore a part put new heads timing set

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

was it doing this before the engine work was done ?

does the speedometer work ?

and the fluid IS full ?

it was shifting before engine work but not well the speedo is fine and fluid is full
is there a vaccume line i might have missed ?

hang on

does this have a cable from the throttle to the transmission ?

i have cycled it and disconnected it no luck
if the shift cable is stuck will it stay in first gear ?

if you pull on that cable does it feel spring loaded

snaps right back

if the speedometer is working and that cable snaps back and its slipping in reverse there is something failing inside that transmission

its just very odd it was fine before but now its not

It was slipping in before but it was slipping but I could get it through 2nd and drive I only drove it for about 30 minutes after I change the timing chain before I figured out that the heads were leaking and I did the head job on it previously the car has been sitting for years so I thought after I did the head job maybe I could drive it around a little bit and get the transmission to come around but instead it went South and won't even shift out of first gear at all I did have it all the way up into drive right after I did the head job and I push the throttle all the way down to kick it down in the passing gear and it did kick down but then I didn't want to go back in the drive and it was pretty much the end of second and third so I don't know if when I push that down pull that cable real hard that something inside snapped I'm pretty sure the Transmissions toast anyway I just want to make absolutely sure before I pull it

yes it is bad i am sorry to say

dont forget to rate me here

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

thanks

anytime

should be something on your end to click to rate me here

Gary
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician