Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

In an attempt to put in a new stereo, the battery was

Customer Question
In an attempt to...

In an attempt to put in a new stereo, the battery was disconnected. Now the truck won't turn over at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tested the battery with a voltmeter? And can you see if it's leaking or not?

Not leaking and complete recharge.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

The anti-theft system hasn't worked properly since we purchased and now it is going off every time we touch it.

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Chevy?

1999

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

My husband is. He took off both terminals. He tried recharging battery. He tested fuses.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/16/2017
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Have him do the 30 minute relearn on the anti theft system and see i it will start. Here are the correct steps to do it.

Just wanted to check in on you and see if he got it running?

No, I did the 30 minute relearn and it won't start.

Do you still need help getting it running?

Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 6 months ago

What all have you done at this point?

My husband took the battery out completely and put it on the charger. He replaced it and it wouldn't turn over. I did the steps on the 30 minute relearn that were sent to me through this site. I did it several times and nothing.

What did the security light on the instrument cluster do when you did the relearn?

I did not pay attention to it, but I'm not familiar with which light it is.
If I take my laptop with me out there, can you walk me through it?

Sure.

Is the battery fully charged up now?

Give me just a minute to get out there.

ok

I'm here. . Alarm is going off. It does as soon as you open the door.
It was when he put it back in.

Then there has to be an after market alarm on the truck. Do you have a remote for the alarm?

My signal out here is awful!
No. It does have the security light. It was flashing when the alarm was going off,

Can you send me a pic of the light that is blinking?

Now it's flashing the battery. Before it was the word security.

Please tell me in detail what you have done. It has been 1.5 hours and I have not heard from you so I do not know what you have done.

I lost service. Did you get the picture?

NO.

I can't get it to attach. I'm gonna call it quits for tonight. I'll go back out and take the picture in the comment. That worked last time.

Ok. Thank you.

Can you look under the dash for me and see if there is an after market alarm system on this truck? If there is it will be a small black box.

The alarm box will usually be mounted close to the ignition switch.

I will, but it will have to be this afternoon. My 18yr old is playing basketball this morning.

That will be fine. Also look and see if there is a siren/horn mounted under the hood separate from the factor horn.

Will do.

Thank you.