Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2011 impala 3.5L & 2007 trailblazer 4.2L exibiting the same…

Customer Question
2011 impala 3.5L &...

2011 impala 3.5L & 2007 trailblazer 4.2L exibiting the same symptoms - can not control throttle body. Changed throttle body & PCM with no results. Scanned PCM, APP is present but no throttle plate movement on either vehicle. APP movement is being picked up by PCM - checked wiring OK - Can move throttled plate by hand & see movement on scanner WHAT's WRONG

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked all the fuses? Do you have a wiring diagram?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Trailblazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed throttle body & PCM, checked wiring for continuity OK

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Can't get the throttle to relearn because I can't control RPM's

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/14/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

did you change the pedal assembly?? this is what controls the throttle body movement. the pcm may see the tps working but the pedal module controls the commands.

Roy

Even if i see movement on my scanner that the pedal is moving

your seeing a reading for the tps sensor voltage change on the throttle body.

Roy

I see sensor voltage change when i move the throttle plate manually, i see pedal voltage change on my scanner as i depress the pedal - when i press the pedal no change at throttle body

I see what you mean but the module is not commanding the motor to open.

Roy

Exactly, I've actually had a mobile programmer try to reprogram the throttle body with no results - he suggested a wiring problem but i have continuity with all wiring

its not the throttle body. the control module is part of the inside pedal assembly.

Roy

That might explain the no throttle movement but it doesn't explain the erratic idle

2 separate issues. nothing listed in your post for a rough idle

Roy

All these problems started at the same time, started vehicle it an rough and could not accelerate, changed throttle body first, then PCM

get the throttle body resolved first and then drive it to see if the rough idle still exists. the module will position the plate correctly to adjust idle speed and smooth.

otherwise there is another issue. first things first

Roy

i'll give a shot will get back tomorrow to let you know how it goes

ok

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

I'm guessing it's 3 out of 5 stars - it was worth at least 3 stars - if it works i'll give you 5 stars but i won't get any parts until tomorrow - worth the conversation - thanks

your welcome

when you rate hit the number of stars at the top of the page

Roy

any update???

OK tried the accelerator pedal - it did not wok
the initial problem of erratic idle and unable to accelerated remains - i'm at a loss
roy are you there ?
Roy - still waiting for an answer

yes, I am here. was on phone with another customer.

did you verify 5 volt reference at the app?? there are tan, white/black and gray wires. they all need 5 volts key on.

please be patient as I answering many questions.

Roy

5 volts are present and i see voltage change on my scanner as i depress the pedal

ok

is there any voltage on the tan wire at the throttle body???

all 5 volt references are present

no, my question was is there voltage on the tan wire at the throttle body???

what voltage do you have at the motor wires on the throttle body???

Roy

8 wires - blk/wht 0v - gry 5v - brn .245v - yel 0v - ppl 4.30v - blk 0v - blu/blk 5.0v - grn .014v that come from throttle body

are you sure the blk/wht is not a white/black??? in the diagram I sent you it should have 5 volts from the pcm

Roy

i'm checking the 2007 trailblazer (the 2011 impala has the exact same problem) there is no white/black wire

wish you would have told me that

let me get the info from that

we discussed this from the very beginning

you listed both cars in your original not mentioning which one you were actually checking

my concern is no power to the motor wires for moving the plate. that comes directly from the pcm to the throttle body.

when you command the throttle plate open with the scan tool can you check the power on those wires???

Roy

i checked that earlier, there was no voltage change at throttle body. tried manually moving throttle plate with 12v power & ground the throttle plate moved accordingly

then that tells us the pcm is not working sending the signal. thats where it comes from.

you said you verified wiring was good so that leaves only the pcm. I assume you flashed the pcm to the vin number of the truck.

Roy

ok, then it looks like you have a bad pcm

Roy

on the impala i changed both the PCM and the throttle body with no results, i took apart the wiring harness to physically check the wiring from the PCM to the throttle body which on the 2011 impala 3.5L are basically ight next to each other and found no problems with continuity or voltage

ok

Roy, any good news today ?

no, I cannot continue since I am here and not there. I need to see it, touch it and test it myself in orer to resolve this. I will opt out and see if anyone else has any ideas.

Roy

Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

I can try to help you but we need to be working on 1 car at a time

which vehicle would you like to start with (2011 impala 3.5L or 2007 trailblazer 4.2L) both have the same symptoms cannot control the throttle plate with accelerator pedal or mato maximus 2.0 scanner even though voltage change while depressing pedal or manually moving throttle plate
Impala first. I'm at work so I'll be on and off when i can. Any codes in the impala
There's a 14 pin connector on the top of the drivers strut tower that goes between the accelerator pedal and ecm. Check that make sure no loose terminals, corosion etc

Do you still need help or are you good

Checked connector on strut tower OK
let me get this straight. When the car is running you have no throttle response or just when the key is in the on position
all the time
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 3 months ago
Have you ohm tested the wires end to end from the ecm to the pedal
Chevy Mechanic: Lou P., ASE Certified Technician replied 3 months ago
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician

Hello Al, it seems you have quite the issue,

looking over the chats I know I can help, But when the techs ask you questions you do not answer them, you seem to reply with some other info that was not requested.

so I can help, I will want to start off as if you NEVER worked on the car at all.

first thing I will want to do is the 2011 impala.

start the car, use the scan tool to run the codes. report back to me the codes and we can go from there.

fixing issues like these are not complicated. but they can be if we do not stay on the same page and do things in order slowly. not to get ahead of each other and keep open clear communication.

I am willing to work with you to resolve this.

so 2011 impala, start it and press the gas pedal a few times to verify no operation and then run the codes to see what codes pop up in ALL modules., not just the ecm.,

Lou

OK lou, i'm back. scanned the 2011 impala 3.5L codes p0315, p0523, p1516, p2101, p0122, p0222, p0223 (sorry it took so long it's the holidays)

no worries i am in the same boat :)

looking over the codes now and thanks for working with me on this.

ok my man here are the code descriptions.

the important ones are pretty much all but the crank sensor one at the moment and the oil pressure one.

the codes indicate to me wiring issues.

so take a look over the info I am sending over.

we need to verify the voltages with a scan tool and meter on the physical connections.

now in my experience with all of the GM fly by wire cars the issue is one of 4 very common failures

1. throttle body
  2. throttle body connector/terminals (napa has a repair kit)
  3. accelerator pedal
  4. accelerator pedal connector/terminals (napa as well)

so lets take a real good look at the wiring, and also the voltage.

since you have a new part (hopefully NEW GM) and not reman or used then we need to verify that the voltage is correct.

also history of how this happened would be best too.

but these codes are the money shot.

if you have any question about the testing let me know i will do what I can to advise

Lou

Lou P.
Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician