Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

1986 Chevy 350 in a K10 pickup. Was running fine until I let…

Customer Question
1986 Chevy 350 in...

1986 Chevy 350 in a K10 pickup. Was running fine until I let off the accelerator coming up to a stop sign. It died and when it restarted it was running rough and smells gassy. Drove it home but it was very underpowered. Sounds as if exhaust is plugged but isn't. Checked plugs, wires, fuel filter. EGR valve has been deleted by previous owner. Took off distributor cap and looked at and cleaned up electrodes with sandpaper as well as the rotor. Started up and ran fine until I revved it up once and then it went back to what it was doing. Appears to be liquid spitting out of both banks through the exhaust onto my shop floor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you metered out the ignition system?

No, but have checked fire at all 8 plugs and I have good fire to them. Friend is bringing a timing light tonight.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '86 Chevy?

As I said above it is a K10. 350 was a crate engine installed by a shop several years ago by previous owner.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself and I already laid out what I have tried above.

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Cesar Jimenez

hi im cesar jimenez and i will be assiting you today. im revieiwng your question now....

ok
Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

make sure that there is no water in fuel. also check if the distributor is in timing and not loose.

Had the cap off last night. It isn't loose. I played with the timing by turning the distributor and it doesn't matter where it is at until you get it way too far. Used to work on these old small blocks all the time. That is why I'm stumped. Will drain the gas and put some fresh in it but don't understand why it happened all at once if that is the case.
Also don't understand why after sanding the contacts on cap and rotor it ran fine until I revved it up. Could it be the weights/springs in the distributor for the timing advance? I didn't tear it apart that far last night. Been fighting it for 5 days now.
Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

make sure distributor is in time. take it out put it to TDC and reinstall. have seen this many times where its a tooth off.

That will happen just by letting off the gas? It would jump a tooth? It has been running great for the year and a half I have owned it and was right up to that point..
Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

i know it might not make sense but just to scratch that off. or just put it in TDC and check that the rotor is in the right position

Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 7 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

is your truck fuel injected or does it have a carb???

Roy

Quadrajet. Thinking stuck float, maybe?

ok

makes sense.

the main issue with these carbs is this. the are 2 plugs inside the fuel bowl at the bottom and they leak fuel directly into the exhaust manifold. there are plugs from the bottom of the bowl on the outside that leak. when it does, the truck runs rich and when you let off the gas and the manifold vacuum is the highest, sucks raw fuel into the intake causing your issue.

the answer is to either rebuild the carb and use jb weld on the plugs or replace the carb. I rebuilt these carbs for years and have seen many issues with them.

Roy

are you there

do you need any other help???

Might. Did check timing as was told by first tech. It was ok. Need time to check out carb. Probably next week before I will have time.

no timing at all.

ok

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

how are you making out???

Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago

roy i do not appreciate you answering in my post.

I have not gotten back to it. Had a band concert for my daughter last night. Probably be NEXT WEEK before I can look at it again.
Chevy Mechanic: Cesar Jimenez,
 replied 7 months ago
Okay no problem just message me. Please rate me on my services happy holidays and thank you