Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab duramax. It…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Chevrolet...
I have a 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Crew Cab duramax. It has an intermittent problem with the transmission. A couple of times in the last week the shift range inhibited message comes on and it goes into limp mode. Shut it off and restart and it stays in limp mode and the check engine light goes off and the inhibited message goes away.
What do you think?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

One of the more common causes of this issue here is a fault with the transmission neutral safety switch/range sensor located on the side of the transmission.This will give you this message as well as put the vehicle into a limp mode until the computer no longer sees the fault.

I have had to replace this switch assembly several times before on the Allison transmission your vehicle has.

What needs to be done here is to have the fault codes read out with a fully compatible scan tool that can read all computers in your vehicle to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set then need to be diagnosed to then locate and repair this issue here.Even if the lights and warning are off now there should still be a code set.You can get this done at a shop or dealer as well as diagnosis and repair for a fee.A local parts store can usually read out the codes at no charge to you and can give you an idea of what is at fault.GM released a bulletin on the common failure of this switch on the side of the transmission.It is located where the shifter linkage is and is held in place with a couple bolts.

The other fault may be the internal mode switch which fails needing replaced.But the codes will need to be checked to help locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.I work on delivering the best answer and help here but in some cases, it can be difficult to do without seeing the vehicle.

Thanks Pete

The only code is P0700

I apologize for the delay as I have been offline a few days.

This indicates a code is set in the transmission computer with the code you have set here.What needs to be done is to use a fully compatible scan tool that will plug into your vehicles data port to communicate with the transmission computer ( as not all scan tools can do this) and then you can read out the codes in the transmission computer itself.This has to be done to see what codes are set.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Sorry, I've been out of the country for a week. I'll get back on the project in a couple of days.
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago

Sounds good.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete