Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My 2000 c2500 7.4L v8 would die a second after I tried

Customer Question
My 2000 c2500 7.4L...

My 2000 c2500 7.4L v8 would die a second after I tried starting it yesterday. Since, I have cleaned the throttle body, changed the IAC, changed the fuel filter, distributor and rotor.

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the fuel filter an external one, or is it inside the tank?

Now it doesn’t even turn over and the security light is on

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '00 Chevy?

External...

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

C2500 7.4L V8 single cab long bed

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 8 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing your question and would be happy to assist you.

Awesome, thank you

Whats going on is due to the security system. The reason that it would start and stall yesterday is because of that. This is a design feature so that the vehicle won't get stolen. The way it works is when you insert the key in the ignition and turn to the start position there is is sensor that tellls the body control module that ok...we're good to start. That has failed and will need to be replaced. There are 2 parts that will need to be replaced. The igniton lock cylinder itself and the passlock housing that it goes in to. After that there is a learn procedure that would need to be done

There is something that you could try but it may or may not work. If you would like i'll try to explain it to you.

please

This is a 30 - 40 minute procedure...place the key in the ignition and turn it to the start position and release it to the on position. The security light will either flash on and off or stay on steady........wait 10-15 minutes and see if the security light turns off...if it doesn't this isn't going to work..If it does..turn key to the off position and repeat exactly what i said 2 additional times

Can all of this been created by readjusting the fuses?

Probably not

what do you mean by adjusting fuses

I followed the fuse box panel and put in all new fuses
Tried the ignition key trick and no change. Heading to the auto store for those parts

Not sure if a regular parts store will carry them

Just following up....Did you get what you needed?