Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Tge 1st rocker arm on the 5th cylender keeps clicking. I…

Customer Question
Tge 1st rocker arm on...
Tge 1st rocker arm on the 5th cylender keeps clicking. I ajusted them all while it was running. I tighten it down untill it dosent click any more then 1/2 to 3/4 turn after. It stops clicking for a min the starts again. Iv loosened it and repeted the prosess like 3 time allready. Whats going on with it
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/13/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, ASE Certified Technician

Hello! My name is Gary.
Welcome to JustAnswer.
I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with a reply shortly.

Sounds like a bad lifter, bleeding down.

How often do you change the oil?

How many miles on this engine?

Gary

I just put it back together after doing the head gaskets. I had two heads resurfaced magnaflux and pressure checked. I figured out what the chattering was I ran it for 20 minutes and I think that they lifters we're not moved enough so I added some Marvel mystery oil to my oil and ran it and it runs fine now. But my idle pulses now that i got it running. It pulses pretty quickly at idle between 200 and 300 RPMs apart
here's a list of things that I replaced and did to the engine
Head gasket set with heads checked at a shop
Replaced the tbi with a cleaned out used one
idle air controle sensor
Throttle position sensor
Coolant temp sensor
thermostat
timing chain
sparks plugs and wires
set the timing with a timing gun with the timing advance disconected
there's another sensor that goes into the driver side head that looks like a coolant temp I replaced that one too.
Replaced the little black map sensor with one i got from pick n pull
New oil and filter
and replaced my oil cooler lines cuz they were only 10 bucks a piece and the old ones looked baked
but everything is all put back together now and seems to be running very nicely a lot better than it ever has before minus the idle problem
can u help me trouble shoot the idle problem?
140k miles
change oil every 1500 miles but only cuz I get free oil

You have done a fair amount of work there.

Sounds like an issue with the IAC and TPS on the throttle body.

Do you have a scan tool to communicate with your vehicle?

Gary

No
I might know a friend who has one but i replaced the tps and iac with new ones
The connector on tge iac was a bit banged up but the contactors were clean

A surging idle will be a combination of the iac and tps.

The voltsge on the tps is too high or low.

Then the iac tries to prevent a stall condition, idle goes high low high low.

Do you have a multimeter to measure the tps voltage at closed throttle?

Gary

i have one. From the contactors on the tps while running right? What am i looking for on the meter?
Just Any type Fluctuating voltage?

Engine not running, just key on is fine for first test.

One wire is 5v, one is ground, one is signal.

We need to see about .45 - .50 volts between the signal wire and ground at idle.

The voltage goes up to around 4.4v at wide open throttle.

Gary

How are you going with this issue?

Gary

I replaced the egr valve and sensor and it took care of the pulsing idle issue however now I have a service engine soon light on

Do you have a scan tool?

Have you checked for codes?

Gary

No couldent find any one with obd1 scanner

You need to find someone who has a scan tool to talk to your vehicle.

Until you get a code, further diagnosis is futile.

Gary