Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

About every other month, it will not start. No starter, no…

Customer Question
About every other month...

About every other month, it will not start. No starter, no nothing. Lights in dash go on like normal. After letting it sit, it starts fine. Had the battrery replaced, starter motor as well.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? The dashboard bulbs?

What fuses work the starter motor INTERMITTANTLY????

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2008 Chevrolet Colorado 3.7L Automatic

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Colorado yourself? What have you tried so far?

I had a new starter put on. New battery,

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I had a friend tell me it was in the security system. Has 158,000 on it, and for the first 140 +- there were none of these problems

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/11/2017
Chevy Mechanic: AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN replied 8 months ago
AMEDEE
AMEDEE, CHEVY TECHNICIAN

Hello and welcome!

Thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today. I am reviewing the details now.

Is the check engine light on?

Are there any codes in the computer?

Are you looking for some possible causes?

Would you be willing to speak on the phone?

Check engine light is NOT on. I have not checked for codes. Looking for possible causes

Sounds good no problem. I will be happy to help.

First, it is important to understand how the starting circuit works. Are you aware of how it is wired or how it operates on the vehicle?

Let me explain

The ignition switch sends a signal to the body control module with the "position" of the switch. From there, the BCM sends a signal to the ECM over the BUS network or GM serial data circuit. Once this happens, the ECM activates the starter relay by supplying voltage. Once the relay activates, it sends power down to the starter.

So, ANYTHING in this circuit that stops working correctly can and will prevent the engine from cranking. The list of possible causes are (besides the starter and battery that you have replaced) would be..

• Ignition switch
  • Body control module
  • Engine control module
  • Wiring
  • Engine ground

However, based on my experience, the most common cause or MOST LIKELY possible cause for this issue is a faulty ignition switch.

Keep in mind this is a "starting point". My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Do you have any further questions sir?

basically, I just paid $22 for pretty much NO help. Thanks a lot

Hello!

I am not sure why you would say that sir. I just explained everything, (explained the entire circuit) and even provided you with the most likely possible cause. I am not sure what more you would like from me?