Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2013 Tahoe with 5.3 engine. The service engine

light comes on when the...
I have a 2013 Tahoe with 5.3 engine. The service engine light comes on when the temperature drops below 45 degrees. It will go out when the temperature is above 45 or 50 degrees. The code it sets is P219a. Greens in Davenport IA have not been able to determine what is wrong. They tell me the O2 sensors test good.
12/9/2017
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

HI,

Ok, this a code for Fuel Trim Cylinder Balance Bank 1

First, I need to know if yours has aftermarket exhaust system, aftermarket air filter kit such as a K&N cold air kit, aftermarket intake manifold

Second, does the scan tool you bought have live data that shows voltages, vacuum Hg, etc for all the sensors

All original no aftermarket equipment.I'm not sure about the scan tools capabilities. The scan tool is Autel AL519 AutoLink Enhanced OBD ll Scan Tool with Mode 6 Fault Code Reader EOBD if that helps you any. I am 73 years old and understand basic automotive mechanics. But I getting to be too old to be crawling around under the hood anymore. I'm hoping to come up with something that I can take to the dealership and say "here do this" and see if it helps.

HI,

Ok, reading their write up, it does have live data. I havent used this one, but there should be directions to get to that screen. You will read live data with the engine idling and scan tool hooked up.

I need you to check the data showing for the MAP sensor. It should show in either voltage, Hg or Psi reading. I need that reading to know which direction to go on diagnosing

The fact that the problem is temperature sensitive causes me to wonder if it could be a component connection somewhere. Or a temperature sensitive component.OK I'm in the house so I'll go hook up the reader and see what I can see. I don't know if my wiFi is strong enough to reach the garage or not. Stand by.

HI,

The MAP sensor is affected by temperature, which is why that is the reading I am looking for to start with.

OK the model reader i have is not capable of checking any MAP sensor data.
Are you still with me?

HI,

Still here. Was walking someone thru removing their engine.

Ok, without knowing the readings, I cannot say definitely, but the most common temperature related cause for this code is the MAP sensor, followed by an intake manifold gasket leak on bank 1. As the temperature warms up, the leak is sealed by the metal expansion of the intake.

If the engine idle is erratic in cold temperature on first start up, I would more suspect the intake manifold gasket leaking. If not, then the MAP sensor

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT/3 STARS OR HIGHER today. Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better. All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Please remember to rate service using the separate rating page. Thank you

Please note that if you have a subscription service, you still are required to rate service, however you are not charged again. This is just so that your expert is credited for their time and services. Thank you.

The engine runs beautifully from cold start to fully warm. Can the MAP sensor be tested directly? As not with a OBDII reader but as if it were off the engine?

HI,

let me check to see if there are any tests not involving a scan tool

Every test requires a scan tool with command and control functions in addition to needing live data

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
OK I think I'll check the dealership to see about testing it. Or given the hourly rates it might just be money better spent to replace the dang thing. I've searched for people who may have had similar problems of and on for the past several years. Because there seems to be no drivability or performance problems I tend to ignore it for awhile and then search for awhile. The recent cooler weather lit it up full time so I'm back in the hunt. Thanks for the new idea.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager