Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 Vortech 4x4. It has a…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban 2500 8.1 Vortech 4x4. It has a 38 gallon fuel tank. when I get to a half tank the low fuel warning light comes on and the fuel gauge goes to empty. I've changed the fuel pump twice and the Cluster as well. Still does the same thing. Help please.

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

The low fuel warning light and fuel gauge in the cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

I've dropped the tank twice, replaced fuel pump twice and replaced the cluster.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No. Thanks

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/8/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 7 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, I am Randall. Had you not done fuel pumps/sending units 2 x as well as the cluster I may reply different but since all this has been done and tried? the PCM has different segments internal to it. Primary levels and secondary level and it interprets the level as to what signals are being sent to the PCM and then converts to the dash to register levels. In your case ? after all done and tried and looking at diagrams etc? your PCM is the likely culprit

What is the PMC?