Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1989 gmc K2500 it blew the exam fuse a few times…

Customer Question
I have a 1989...

I have a 1989 gmc K2500 it blew the exam fuse a few times now when I start it it’s not running good

Mechanic's Assistant: Do all the fuses have the correct amperage for the circuits they're in?

Yes I change fuel pump relay . It was running well blew the fuse changed it is strays but has no power now

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your 2500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Changed the fuse and the relay . When it died it was running good changed the fuse when it blew . Started it again now it runs bad

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

I not sure if it can be a weak fuel pump or sending unit

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Hello
Is anyone there
12/8/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Yes,sorry for the delay. I need the engine size and what fuse? you wrote " exam fuse"

5.7
Exam

you say exam, do you mean ECM? I hev never heard of an exam fuse, where is this fuse?

In fuse box says ecm ign
Under dash

ok, thanks, ***** ***** writing EXAM fuse. Back shortly

have to opt out. sorry

Well
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 4 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

do you still need help??

just changed ecm unit runs with very weak power . Sounds like Tbi sucking air

ok new expert here

let me get a diagram for you

No stopped before I change it
Sounds like tbi sucking in to much air

that is the idle air control valve making that noise. it is a regulated vacuum leak to get an idle

what did you do to stop the fuse from failing??

Roy

Changed the fuse that all it blew a few times then stared . But now runs with no power. It ran well thill then

that is with the new ecm.

what about if you install the old ecm??? does it still have no power?? did this exist prior to the fuses failing???

it was working replaced to see if that was the problem

put the old one back in and see what happens.

it sounds like you have a harness issue. you moved the harness around replacing the ecm.

Roy

It was running bad that’s why I changed it

ok I thought you said it was ok prior to the change

Roy

No it’s was running bad that’s why I changed it
Truck ran good before fuse blew could it be the sending unit on fuel pump
It runs but runs rough with no power

I thought it was because you were blowing fuses as in your original post.

the fuel pressure should be checked. if it is low it will cause this

Roy

It did blow the fuse

ok

start with checking the fuel pressure

Please take a moment and rate my service 3 stars or better. that is the only way the site will pay me for my efforts.

Roy

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest