Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hot motor, cold radiator. Hopefully a thermostat. 07 express…

Customer Question
Hot motor, cold radiator ...

Hot motor, cold radiator

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Is it an automatic or a manual transmission?

Hopefully a thermostat.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

07 express 2500 4.8

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

I just finished replacing the thermostat, still same

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Hot engine, cool radiator

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
206k miles
12/8/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Ok

One common cause for this type of problem can be caused by trapped air in the cooling system and bleeding this engine can be fairly tricky if you have trapped air after replacing the thermostat it can cause this type of problem as well. The best way to clear the air from the cooling system on this one is with a vacuum bleeder. Have you tried doing it this way?

No, I don't have one handy with me. On the side of the road

That makes it hard to bleed it, is there any way you can find a spot where you can drive the van up on a hill or incline where the front of the van is higher than the rear? This will help with getting the air to rise to the top as well when bleeding. If you can then try doing it with the static method. See that in the link below.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/p8qe0j31w5us8zr/static%20fill%20and%20bleed%20Dec%208.pdf?dl=0

Where is the radiator air bleeder hose located?

The radiator does not have an air bleeder. The air bleeds out through the cap.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician