Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I just got a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and had to replace all of the…

Customer Question
I just got a 2007...
I just got a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and had to replace all of the keys. I used a locksmith and they went through the 30 minute reset procedure but it didn't work. He tried a few times. Finally, he said it must be the ECU. He said "the OBD2 works but when I connects to the car and selects 2005 - 2010 Chevy Cobalt it gets stuck.How likely is it that it's the ECU?
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
As a side note, he said the lock light didn't go off after 10 minutes like it should have. Not sure if that's important to the conversation or not.
12/8/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am happy to assist you today. Give me just a moment to review your post, and I'll be right back with the help you need.

Was the car starting okay before you had the new keys made?

Unfortunately, I don't know. It was impounded.

This could be a bad ECU but it could also be a problem with the locksmith's scanner and or the keys he cut for you. I think before you go through the expense of replacing and programming the ECU I would have it checked with a dealer scan tool . The fact that the light stayed on usually means the system was not reading the new key. If it reading them the light should go out after 10 minutes. Did he leave it on for at least 10 minutes?

Your Cobalt also has a recall for replacing the ignition switch, has that been done?

He did leave it on for 10 minutes. Also, he tried it a few times. He said uses the scanner to do this all the time. Could it be just this vehicle that it doesn't work on?
He did replace the ignition switch the previous one was damaged
I would have to tow it to a dealership and am trying to avoid that cost first.

It sounds like either a problem with the new keys and or his scanner. Was the recall for the ignition system done on this one as well?

Not sure about the ignition system recall. Is there a way to check? Would an obd2 tel me?
I see a 30 minute reset procedure without a tech 2. I think I'm gonna try that.

See the reset procedure for your Cobalt in the link below. To find out if the recall has been done you would need to call the dealer along with your vin number and they can tell you if its been done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cn8r2yem2usqi9e/Re-learn%20Dec%208.pdf?dl=0

See the recall as well in this link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nvbtli61v2nqqym/Key%20recall%20Dec%208.pdf?dl=0