Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 silverado. security light was flashing and…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 silverado...
I have a 2000 silverado. security light was flashing and wouldnt start. I had a buddy come over with is tuning software and disable VATS and now it starts but the big bright security light in the information center stays on constantly and it drains the battery after a couple days. Truck runs fine other than a list of BCM related functions that dont work.. Automatic headlights, interior dome light and remote door locks. I took it to GM to get a code from the BCM but the tech2 scanner will not communicate with the BCM. Bad BCM or passlock sensor failure??
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/7/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is*****'m an A.S.E Certified Master Technician with 30 + yrs GM experience. I'm reviewing you question and would be happy to assist you.

Bcm failure or no voltage to the bcm

Was just told bcm had no communication

Bcm failure or no voltage to the bcm....Thats it .....unless your buddies program messed it up

Could a passlock failure cause no voltage to the bcm? I still have some bcm functions. Power seats, windows, wipers, 4wd all that works. All this started with a security light and no start which are symptoms of failure of the passlock

Absolutely not.... A passlock failure will NOT cause no voltage to the bcm

What you needed to fix the vehicle was a new passlock housing and ignition cylinder. All the program did was bypass but the problem still exists and won't go away until repaired

I hope i've answered your question and you would kindly rate a 3-5. Thanks...Todd A. Happy Holidays

now you're saying I need both?
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 4 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

I am sorry you are having such a hard time. Would you like to do some testing to see for sure what you need to correct your problems? You will need a paper clip, digital volt meter, test light, and some wire to do the testing.

I am still here to help you. Let me know if you would like to do some testing to see what is really wrong with your truck and fix it. If the vats has been bypassed, then we need to see if the bcm is bad, or if you just have a short.

Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

Do you still need help?

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician