Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pt0793 thats the code i believe 2011 malibu 2.4lL.

Customer Question
Hi Mechanic's Assistant: Hello...

Hi

Mechanic's Assistant: Hello. How can I help?

Pt0793 thats the code i believe 2011 malibu 2.4lL

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what's the exact code? And have you tried to reset it?

Transmission went on weird mode. now reverse doesnt work. And it will go into gear but then slips and stays on 2nd and 3rd only

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

No - a small shop. They want to replace and thats it.. I sold cars years ago and i remeber this happening is several occasions let me go look on code

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No let me confirm code 1 min

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jared D, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Jared D
Jared D, ASE Certified Technician

Good afternoon,

It sounds like the 3-5-R wave plate has failed. This is really common on this vehicle. They are recommending a complete replacement of the transmission?

The actual code P0796.Description: The car will not recognize reverse; no jerk nothing. When in Drive it drives and shifts normally but after the 5-10 min it jerks and stays in 2nd and 3rd. please advise

That sounds like and internal pressure loss and that code confirms it. I would say the transmission will need to be replaced or rebuilt.

If you have a good scan tool you could check the following:

1. Start and run the engine. With the transmission in Drive, use the scanner to command the individual gears.

2. Monitor the Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) Switch 5.

3. When the #3 Shift Solenoid is commanded on and off, the TFP5 should switch.

4. If it does not, remove the valvebody. Clean and check the Control Solenoid Valve and TCM Assembly.

5. If everything in the valve body looks ok then you will need to rebuild/replace the transmission.

nothing to do with the plate then? R 2nd 3rd

It still could be the 3-5-R plate, but either way it's bad enough to cause a catastrophic internal pressure loss (the p0796 code).

gotcha..

I think your best bet is probably to replace it.

Please let me know if you need additional info.