Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have had the same starting issue on my 05' Colorado, 3.5L…

Customer Question
I have had the same...
I have had the same starting issue on my 05' Colorado, 3.5L 5cy for quite some time now. I first noticed the problem a few years back. It started out as something that would occur every few months so i never paid it much attention. It started becoming more and more frequent as of late. The truck will crank but just not fire. Usualy after 20 mins of trying it will eventually fire and run normally. I assumed it was a fuel pressure problem and the truck has 215k miles on it so i changed the fuel pump and filter, changed spark plugs new air filter and changed fuel pressure regulator. Truck ran good for a few weeks and then the issue stzrted again. It is very random. I can drive 15 miles with no issues good idiling and i can shut truck down for 30 mins and then wont fire up. I try for 20 mins, finally turs over then i drive home and i can shut the truck off and fire it right up 5 times or more in a row.
Im begining to lean towards cam sensor crank sensor crank position solenoid? There are no CEL and everything else runs fine as far as im concerned.
Thoughts?
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

Have you tried to see what is missing when this happens? Those being fuel pressure, ignition spark, and injector pulse?

No I'm just a regular family man with limited tools and resources. I served 4 years in the Marie Corps as a diesel mechanic so I can usually find my way around stuff, however military vehicles were designed to be fixed in a reasonable amount of time where as american auto manufactures have implemented designs that require you to go to a dealership or what have you.anyways, I'm not sure how any of those items would be tested, because this issue is 100% unpredictable. The truck will start up on the first shot for a week maybe even longer, then at some random time it just cranks and cranks and cranks. But it sounds like its receiving full power from battery starter etc. Although even when it starts normal it is still a hard start.Is it feasible for me to rent and or buy some kind of a code reader and just wait for the issue to occur and then plug it in?

Thanks for your service.

American cars are not so much designed so you have to go to the dealer. They just have emissions standards to follow and they have to please the customer whom wants the plush ride unlike a Hummer.

If the check engine light is not on now, odds are there are no codes, and most likely this issue will not be picked up by a scan tool.

Since this is intermittent you would have to do the same thing a tech would do. Have the tools in the vehicle ready to use when this occurs. Sometimes we have to ask the customer if we can drive the vehicle as our own for the week to try and find issues.

Ignition spark is an easy one to check, you remove a plug and wire, ground it to the engine, crank the engine and see if you have spark.

Injector pulse is pretty easy too, you unplug an injector and plug up a 5$ noid light in place and see if it flashes when cranking.

Fuel pressure is tested with a gauge connected to the fuel line that supplies the injectors, you may need to rent a pressure gauge.

Often in this case finding what is not to blame is just as helpful in figuring this out.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

Have you heard anything or experienced these issues with faulty crank shaft sensors, cam sensors or crank shaft positioning solenoids?

I have experienced plenty of faulty CMP and CKP sensor.

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician