Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 1999 Tahoe: Replaced master cylinder, rear shoes,

Customer Question
I have a 1999 Tahoe...
I have a 1999 Tahoe: Replaced master cylinder, rear shoes, springs (full kit) turned drums, replaced drums, switched drums from side to side, re replaced wheel cylinder, put on new pads to rule out bad pads from the part store and replaced backing plates too as they were wore with grooves in them. Able to see marks where drums are rubbing or not returning so they get hot. Backed off parking brake, adjusted and re adjustedWhen I get home, lift the truck and the wheel spin freely. I have had the system bled, brakes adjusted three different times plus the times I have backed off the drums to make sure. Also verified all springs and shoes put on correctly.Issue: Left rear drum gets hot in short distances hot enough to borderline burn fingers, and the right side remains normal. Recently both drums got hot and that only happened once and never again. I have taken it to three shops and no one can figure it out.There is only one main brake line to the rear housed over the pumpkin and if that were bad the idea would be that both drums would be hot. There are the individual brake likes and perhaps they are corroded (from the inside out) and the right isn't getting fluid and/or the left is not returning. I'm stumped as the vehicle stops find and does not pull but clearly there is an issue.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

just the left rear drum is too hot ?

99 percent of the time its only the left drum, and that is intermittent also. Only once was both the left and right drum hot. I am going ot change the brake line and check the left and right mental line when I get home. Over all 85 percent of the time the left gets hot, especially if you back up and adjust the brakes once or twice.

let me know how it acts after you do that

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Besides that everything has been replaced and check a few times, parts replaced and work verified by three shops. One told me just to drive it lol

let me know how it is after

Oh, and I did the wheel bearing too, and verified that they weren't bad, but when I did the backing plate I had to pull the axles so I replaced bearing and seals

ok

am I being charged yet? I was hoping for an answer or options beyond what I have done or will do this evening
Chevy Mechanic: Mike S., Chevy Mechanic replied 7 months ago
Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic

The springs return the shoes to rest.

Can you post a photo of how you have the parts, springs etc installed at the left rear?

Also,I wanted to ask was you sure now to mix up the right rear with the left rear adjuster, cause one side I believe is right hand thread and the other side left hand thread.

the spring are correct per midas and another shop. The adjusters only fit one way on the right and left side. I’ll send a pic

It all looks fine to me, the installed brakes that is. I do see the mark on the shoe but you would think the marks would go around the shoe not from in to out. That strikes me as odd but I cannot explain it. It almost looks like the adjustment on the parking brake was too tight and you had to pry the drum off, did you?

Are you sure you have the correct width of shoe?

What are the diameter of those drums?

I see them as 10" and shoe width as 2.25", is that what you have?

They are the 11 inch drums and that is what the brakes are for a 5.7 4x4. The ten inch I had looked at are way to small.Yes even the new drums do the same thing in very few miles. I’m stumped
I never had to pry the drums off. The come rigut off. When I bled them yesterday the drums would stop and move freely as I had someond push the peddle.

What is the width of the shoes?

I think the six is 11 x 2. See I got the brake 3 pair two from the same place and one from Napa. I made them look them
Up each time.

Measure the width of the shoe.

I don't know what you mean by "brake 3 pair "

First of all, you are not holding the left side of that tape measure correctly, second of all I see they are supposed to be 2.750 in

What is the napa part number for those shoes?

Are you saying you have different shoes on the left as what are on the right?

I thought maybe a pair was
Bad so put on a new pair. Then I went with a higher brand from someplace else. Same thing. That’s three pair of brakes

What is the part number of that shoe you took a photo of and was measuring? Plus re-measure that shoe, except this time align the left edge correctly, cause I think they still are only going to measure 2 5/8"not 2 3/4".

Plus you have to use the same brand name shoes on the left and right because the small amount of difference in the dimensions could cause a problem.

Both shoes are napa and they are 2.5 width. I replaced in pairs

What is the part number?

You are still holding the ruler wrong. Look on the left where the inches begin, you are off by about 1/8"

It’s bent on the end

The ruler doesn't start from right on the edge, look at where the 1st mark is, that is where you need to align it with the edge of the shoe.

Get the napa part number yet?

I have to find the receipt Called napa and on my acct size is 11x 2 3/4 part no 11413R

Ok, first thing. I cannot find a 11413R anywhere on their website. second, those shoes do not measure 2 3/4", they measure 2 5/8'

Orilies verified size should be 11/2.75. I’ll measure again. The camera distorts a bit

You don't have to measure again, I already adjusted the ruler, they measure 2 5/8" I need the actual link to the napa brake shoes 11413R, cause I cannot find them.

I think we need to accept the brakes are the right called both parts stores this am I’m on the way to my truck and will send receipt witu pic of part number

I cannot tell if you are measuring it correctly. I already confirmed the measurement was 2 5/8", You must still be measuring wrong.

I am done here. You have the wrong shoes. I will read once you post the part number, but I am done.

Did that answer your question? If so, kindly leave me a positive rating, so I get credit. After all, you have already made the deposit.
If you don't, the deposit you made will just sit there and I won't get my share of it.

hey were all under the same pressure here. I’m done lol. Did you see the pics I just sent? Not the wrong shoes. Can you share this with others?
Called napa again said part number 1999 tahoe rear showes ss 473 verified by another Napa store. Not sure why they gave me the other number

Ok, let me look.

Yeah, 2.75' but they do not measure 2.75'

Something odd about that.

As best as I can tell yes.

Sorry about saying I am done. I meant I believe I have found the cause and answered your question.

No worries. I have said I’m done many times. I verified with dealership 11 by 2.75 which is what I have. Do you have any idea what’s wrong

Those shoes that you have do not measure 2 3/4", they measure 2 5/8 "

The shoes you see are from orlies the shoes on the truck are from Napa witu the part number I gave you. Still does not explain left side is the only one hot. The shoe itself is 2.75 exactly are you adding on the housing width?
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 7 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

do you still need help???

If you can read the issue and have an idea what’s wrong yes.

I have read all the text that was posted.

I want to go back to basics.

Nowhere have I seen any mention of the emergency brake cable on the affected wheel. the one picture you posted way back looks like the primary shoe is not seated on the anchor. the cable may not be free internally and holding the shoes applied ever so slightly causing the heating up.

Roy

Had three shops check e brake and loosen. Wheel rolls free when jacking it up over and over after driving

I would either disconnect the cable or remove the center bar from the shoes and drive it to confirm

Ok maybe we’ll just stop here. I was hoping for a suggested part or something. Three shops worked in it and here we are. Do I get charged for this?

I just did suggest a part. I do not see or touch it. just going on other peoples words. your issue is basic brakes.

have a good day.

Agreed. Do I pay for this or not?

we experts require payment for our services just as you do when you go to work. we only get a small portion of what the site charges you when you accept our answers. we have no control over money.

Roy

It said I only pay if satisfied with th answer