Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Moose, I have 2011 PPV 2wd Tahoe and I have been

Customer Question
Hi Moose,I have 2011 PPV...
Hi Moose,I have 2011 PPV 2wd Tahoe and I have been civilianizing the vehicle. Everything I have added has needed no programing work at to this point, but there are two things I am about to do that needs programing.Enable remote start: This vehicle has the build code for remote start but it is disabled
Enable auto headlights: This vehicle has the feature but it is disabled so it does not interfere with the police “wigwag” lights (all removed)
Folding mirrors with defrost: From reading on the internet the new switches need to be programed to talk to the BCM.I have purchased a MongoosePro interface from Drew Tech to be able to use tech2win. Do I need the tech2win and the service programing 3 day passes? Everything I have read seems to indicate Tis2Web but that portion is not listed separately on the GM site.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/6/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 8 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

YOu would need the 3 day passes to program these.The PCM and BCM will need programmed to allow these options to work granted all components are installed to allow them to work.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Hi, just checking in to see how things are going. Do you need further assistance?

Hi Pete, I was away for business and time was short.On the PCM/ECU side, it seems the ECU needs no flashing and the BCM will. Specifically on the GM site what 3 day passes would I actually need? The GM site has listed "Service Programming Only" but the way it is described "Includes: Vehicle calibration software" I wondered if that allowed the programing of all modules. (window switches as well)On the actual act of enabling these option: Is this a pick and choose type thing on the options I need enabled? I also have a remote start to enable, but doing some reading it does not seem to be as simple as turning it on.

I apologize for the delay.

The service programming is the option to program any computer.This is the feature we use at the dealer to perform the programming needed.This will allow any downloads of new or any software from GM into your vehicles VIN specific computer.

In service programming, you will see any options available for programming when you enter a module to be programmed.If it has an option to enable or disable a setting in the engine computer or body computer then you will be able to do so.Now in some cases, there are enable and disable options on a dealers Tech 2 scan tool to enable and disable options without the use of service programming.These are the only 2 ways to do this if it is an option.

You would have to program the computer to recognize and allow remote start with SPS and possibly the Tech 2 scan tool.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Hi Pete,
I got more into this:Remote start. GM requires a validation key you bough the accessory kit. (two fobs) The option is not in the programing to enable. GM has to validate the code, add it to the flash for the BCM.On the other options:
Daytime lights
Running lightsAgain GM has to add this to the flash for your VIN and charges 66.00. Not a huge deal but that is how the procedure worked. There was no ability to select "options" that were not in the VIN build originally.One good side with this tool is that I could update all the stock ECU and TCM firmwares to the latest GM updates for the vehicle. I just had to pull the TCM and ECU programing I had done off them with my tuning software then recalibrate with my changes. It actually also fixed a few issues with TCM strategies I was not able to address because it was deeper down in the OS layers.Thanks for your time,

Your welcome Mike

There are some cases like this where the manufacturer has to allow certain programs or options and it looks like you have found how this is needed to be done here.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time,this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete