Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My car stalls when I put it into reverse. Can i video call…

Customer Question
My car stalls when I...
My car stalls when I put it into reverse. Can i video call you
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/5/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 8 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

you need to have this TSB complied with

My car isn't stock, it's modified a lot and has a Holley efi computer. I'm trying to get someone to video chat and look at the timing tables to make sure they are correct for e85. Under the efi computer it says it's on gasoline but I think the "gasoline" selection is an e85 tune. I just want to make sure.I also notice when I keep tapping the brakes when I'm trying to reverse I can successfully reverse without stalling. But when I'm in 2nd gear( turbo 400 trans) when I apply the brake to approach a red light, the slower i get the more it sounds like it's about to stall

ok, then I'm going to opt out, I don't do modified cars. If its modified from factory specs then I tell my customers to expect problems. good luck

Chevy Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Matt, Engineer

Hello

another expert here

I'm happy to look at modified cars

typically with E85 you run a lot more spark advance as it burns so much slower than gasoline

so if you can use the paper clip to post up an image of the ignition map for me that woudl help

but as well as the main map there will probably be some seperate functionality for 'idle' spark often a typical figure will be 15-20 degrees BTDC and the ECU will probably be trying to control the engine idle speed by changing the timing too

if you're on a cable type throttle then try opening up the idle screw a little too so you increase the airflow

I'd also say depending on how hard you drive and what modifications you have it may also be wise to fit a 'flex fuel' kit where an ethanol sensor is plumbed into the fuel line so the ECU can modify the spark depending on the concentration of ethanol

the reason for doing this is E85 is very very variable from gas station to gas station and from week to week so the car may be mapped and fine on full fat E85 but 1 tank of a 'E65' ( sold as E85 but just degraded) and you run the risk of serious damage

Hi
do you still need help?
Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! If you're not pleased, also let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent further replies
Thanks Matt