Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Replaced battery recently. when i turn the ignition the

Customer Question
Replaced battery recently. when...

Replaced battery recently. when i turn the ignition the headlights don't dim and there is no clicking at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?

What bulbs?

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2005 chevy trailblazer EXT 6 cylinder

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your TrailBlazer Ext yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes i'm trying to fix it myself. all I've tried is what i told you already. is there a stater relay?

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/4/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Chris (aka-Moose), Technician replied 4 months ago
Chris (aka-Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka-Moose).

• WORK TIME, I am here 7 days a week but not all hours of the day, do not worry I will respond.
  • FEES, I am a user of the website like you, not an employee. Any fee or account questions need to be addressed to the website.
  • PHONE CALLS, I will never offer nor ask you to pay more for a call, calls and memberships are pushed by the website.
  • UPLOADED LINKS, if I upload dropbox links, without the phone app use the box on the top right for direct download.
  • RATING ANSWERS, please let me know what you need from me so you are pleased with my answer.

There is a starter relay. Do you have a volt meter or test light?

i have a multimeter
I dont want to talk on the phone
moose,
are you there?

The starter relay is in the fuse box under the hood. Remove the relay and test all the pins, one should be powered. Hold the key in the start position, 2 pins should now have power. Check that.

Crank fuse 17 under the hood is it good and does it have power when trying to start?

i removed the relay i have two pins with power without holding the key in start

How about fuse 17?

fuse #17 is good

Does it have power when trying to start?

doers what have power when i try to start it?

At the starter relay if you jump across pins 30 and 87 with the key on, will it crank and start?

I just tried to start the car with the relay installed, i heard some clicking noises but not from the relay. From the starter possibly?

If you are hearing clicking from the starter but it is not cranking this means the wires at the starter are making poor connection not getting 12.6 volts or the starter motor is faulty. You may of had a poorly seated relay as well which is why your now getting clicking at the starter.

Now that I have posted a partial or complete answer, you will see you can rate me. The deposit you have already paid is not transferred to me until you rate me. I would like to receive nothing less than 5-star excellent ratings. So if we are not there yet, please reply and let me help more. If you're not pleased, let me know because rating bad does not result in a refund, there are better options. Rating now will not close this post nor prevent replying. Thanks Chris

When i pulled the relay i didn't pay attention to how it came out, i assumed i would only go in one way. i dont know what pins are 30 & 87. is there a certain way the starter relay goes in?

It will only fit in one way, there should be a pin diagram on the relay.

There is a diagram it fits both ways.
what pin numbers should have power?

30 should have power all the time.

86 power when trying to start

85 ground when trying to start

87 is the signal wire to the starter if the relay is working.

Hello, Chris here again,

I am checking in to make sure you got everything you expected from my answer. The option to rate my response or reply is still available. I want to make sure you were pleased with what you paid for.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka-Moose), Technician