Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2001 Malibu. Blower resistor was. Replaced it and…

Customer Question
I have a 2001...

I have a 2001 Malibu. Blower resistor was blown. Replaced it and the connector. I tried to run the blower before everything was reinstalled. It worked one time on all speeds, then only two speeds now not at all. What could be the problem? Thanks!!

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes , I’m doing it myself. I replaced the resistor and it’s connector. I ran the blower before I reinstalled the blower and resistor. It worked for s few seconds on all speeds, then only two speeds, now it doesn’t work at all.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No, that should cover it

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/4/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Randall C, ASE Master Tech replied 4 months ago
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech

Hello, is blower back in and do you have a testlight?

Blower and resistor not in but are electrically connected

thanks, ***** ***** have a testlight

but unfortunately I’m not with the car now. Was looking for general info. I read that the system will not work till it is ALL reinstalled and I may have burned up the new resistor. It is laying on the floor mat on passenger side.

Hard to give general information,.It could be one of several things. testing is the way to do this and no, you do NOT need to have installed. You can leave hanging and should work. Possible to do testing when you are back at the car? even if this evening?

I will resume this evening. How will I get back with you?

this same post. it does not close

I’m following up with this blower. New resistor, new connector for resistor. Worked for a moment that’s it.
Anyone there?

yes, I had asked in my last post we need to do some testing and need a testlight. I was awaiting you

I have a multi-meter
Can we use that?

yes, just testlight is easier. Are you at the car now or another time

I’m here now

have to bear with me, I have to repull diagrams

No problem

I need volts test done at the resistor, Leave it it plugged in. Key ON turn blower speed to M# ***** the speed just before high. backprobe the Purple wire, How many volts

Purple wire is 0 volts

turn on LOW and check the Yellow wire, Be sure key is on and your meter works. thanks. test meter at battery if need, Too many times I go through and meter is not working. Just checking

Yellow is also 0 volts. I agree w double checking meter works. It does. I also checked the ground point. Meter and ground point are both good

Thanks you. :) in any case you have one of 2 problems, Either blower fuse is bad OR the blower switch is bad. I rarely ever see a blower switch fail in all speeds. Need to swap out the 20 amp blower fuse. If you read a wiring diagram?>I have attached it. You can ignore most of it, Just concentrate on the blower fuse, switch and resistor. NO way o not have power to the resistor unless bad fuse or bad switch. Unsure why you lost some speeds slowly. Me? I feel the blower is bad and causing high resistance and blew the fuse or the switch. Here is the wiring diagram link

Please rate my service provided today using the rating scale at top of your page. After doing the required rating you can still return to this post for followups if need. Thanks Randall

Randall C
Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech