Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

ABS activates when driving and also turning into driveways…

Customer Question
ABS activates when driving...

ABS activates when driving and also turning into driveways at slow speed 5 10 mph

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? And have the brakes been squeaking?

Fluid was down a third in res. Brakes are not squeaking. I did pull off wheel brake pads have I’d say 40 percent still.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '10 Chevy?

1999 suburban k2500 4x4

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes . I checked speed sensor and was getting voltage from connector when spinning wheel. Looked like 1 volt ac. I know the hubs and sensors where new about a year and half ago.This problem started about 3 month ago

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Not yet

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician replied 4 months ago
Jaybird61
Jaybird61, ASE Certified Master Technician

Hi, My name is Jay

The ABS should not be activating below about 20 mph. Is the ABS light or other warning lights on in the dash? If so have you had the codes tested to see what codes are stored?

I start out driving with no abs light and or warning lights. It will come on after short drive. I have not had codes checked
Are there known problems

The light is coming on to indicate a problem with the system. You can have a free scan for the codes at one of the parts stores. Once you get the code that will most likely be a problem with one of the wheel sensors let me know the codes you get? I can then help you with the problem better since it can be one of many possible problems with the system. It is common to have wheel sensor issues or even warped rotors can cause sensor codes. Also the tire sizes should all be equal or it will set a code and cause ABS to activate.

Ok. Is the scan different from the obd I’m assuming it is . Do I need a abs scanned code.

Yes. The ABS scan will need a scanner capable of scanning the ABS system and basic OBD scanners cannot access system to get codes.

Ok I will check the local part stores.How can I get back to you

I will be right here and can respond when you get codes here. Talk more soon. Thanks.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Did you get the scan done and do you have any other questions for me?

Did you get the codes cleared and road test to see if the codes returned?

we did. Speed sensors were measuring correct speed even with abs light on.When sitting in park no light is on.Turning wheel fully to right or left will bring light on.Coming back to center and light will come off at times

This is caused by excessive play in the front wheel bearings causing the sensor to get out of sensor range from sensor ring on hub. You should check for loose or bad wheel bearings and have them adjusted or replaced if they are the sealed type.

you may need to have bearings cleaned and repacked or replaced if they are bad in the front hubs.

Do you have any other questions for me?

Were you able to check the front wheel bearings to see if the bearings need replaced?

Jaybird61
Jaybird61