Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2006 cobalt ss 2.4L I was driving home on the

Customer Question
interstate at 80 mph when...
I have a 2006 cobalt ss 2.4L I was driving home on the interstate at 80 mph when the traction control and check engine light came, there was no significant power loss, I would come to a complete stop on an interchange when automatic transmission shifts became very rough,any help would be greatly appreciated.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 6 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. Please allow me a few minutes to review your information. Thank you

When the check engine light comes on, the traction control is disabled by default. you need to have a code reader put on the vehicle to see what fault code/s are stored in the computer. if you don't have a code reader then you can take the vehicle to auto zone and they will do it for free. write the code/s down and let me know what they are

Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 6 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

I see you had requested a new expert here, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this.

David is correct.The fault codes have to be read out of the engine computer to see what codes are set.There are several causes for this issue here so it's difficult to say for sure from here which component is at fault without knowing what codes are set.The traction light does come on when the check engine light comes on on this model here.

If you can get the codes read out from a local parts store ( free of charge ) and come back here and post the code info this will help just let me know.

With rough shifting issues, this may be a fault with a transmission shift or pressure control solenoid or an issue with the throttle position sensor or vehicle speed sensor.These are some of the common causes for this fault here.If you can get the codes read out and post them here I can then look into them and help further on this.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete