Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Several issues I picked up a 2004 1500 silverado and after…

Customer Question
Several issues I picked...

Several issues I picked up a 2004 1500 silverado and after installing a new battery found that the gauges were not functioning correct the tac workes the gas worked then stopped the temp works sometimes and the whole thing blinks like christmas at times. It has a problem starting in the key sometimes shifting from park to neutral to get a conection. Also in driving I have 1st and 2nd then no 3 but lots of power and no slipping in the lower gears

Mechanic's Assistant: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?

Not on the road yet

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado yourself? What have you tried so far?

Adding trani fluid, trying to check forums for answers

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/3/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

it is shifting out of 2nd gear and 3rd acts like neutral or it just stays in 2nd when its supposed to be in 3rd ?

NEUTRAL
I picked this truck up for free and would like to give it a chance to live before parting it I have 3 others An 85, 00, 02 the body motor and frame merit some effort on my part if I can keep my cost low

it sounds like you have 2 or 3 different issues

the 3rd gear acting like neutral is a 3-4 clutch failure inside the transmission causing that issue any electronics or computer will never cause a neutral out in 3rd so to say

as for the cluster issue that is usually a bad ignition switch or cluster itself a very common issue on these truacks

as for the starting issue its usually a bad ignition switch or park neutral switch on the drivers side of the transmission causing that issue

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer