Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Just put new fuel pump in 1999 Tahoe. Starts and instantly…

Customer Question
Just put new fuel...

Just put new fuel pump in 1999 Tahoe. Starts and instantly dies

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you ever replaced the fuel pump, or is this the original?

I just installed new fuel pump

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

On my own. have no idea what to do or check

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/2/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mike V., Auto Technician replied 8 months ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Auto Technician

Thank you for your question!
My name is ***** ***** give me a moment to review your question and type my reply. Thanks

5.3Lengine?

Do you know if there are any codes stored?

I am checking on the engine I will get right back to you in one minute
5.7 vortec
No codes just security light stays on

Ok, if the light is on, then you need to try the relearn on it. That would shut it down right away. Give me a moment to get the relearn procedure for you.

Give this a try and let me know.

PASSLOCK REPROGRAMMING AUTO LEARN IMPORTANT: If a new vehicle/powertrain control module (VCM/PCM) is being installed for the first the manufacturing enable bit will be set and the auto learn procedure may not be necessary. The following procedure allows for anyone to reprogram the EVO/PASSLOCK module learned data code with any tools, other than the scan tool, when any of the following parts are replaced: * The EVO/PASSLOCK module * The PASSLOCK sensor * The VCM/PCM * The EVO/PASSLOCK module will set the DTC B3031 module in the learn mode when entering the reprogramming procedure. IMPORTANT: Erase the PASSLOCK related diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) that are stored in the VCM/PCM. If there are any powertrain related DTCs, record these DTCs then: The following is the Auto Learn Procedure: 1. Insure the ignition key is in the "ON" position. 2. Clear all EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM DTCs. Record and refer any VCM/PCM DTCs to: ***** ***** rotate the ignition key to the "CRANK" position (Do NOT start the vehicle), then release it to the "RUN" position (Do NOT key "OFF" in the process). 4. Wait 10 minutes. Observe the "SECURITY" indicator. Refer to the following list for the appropriate responses: A. If the PASSLOCK sensor was replaced the "SECURITY" indicator will flash for the 10 minutes duration. B. If the EVO/PASSLOCK module was replaced, the ""SECURITY"" indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain "ON" for the remainder of the 10 minutes duration. C. If the VCM/PCM was replaced with a new programmed VCM/PCM and connected to the vehicle for the first time, the vehicle will start and this procedure may not be necessary. D. If the replacement VCM/PCM was connected to any vehicle at any other time, even momentarily, the "SECURITY" indicator will flash for a few seconds and then remain "ON" for the 10 minutes duration. 5. The "SECURITY" indicator will transition from flashing to "ON" briefly to "OFF" after 10 minutes if remaining in the ignition "ON" position. 6. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position and wait for 10 seconds. 7. Repeat steps 3-6 two more times. The new security code is ready to be communicated among the PASSLOCK sensor, EVO/PASSLOCK module and VCM/PCM. The new password ***** ***** on the next ignition lock cylinder cycle from "OFF" to "CRANK" to "ON" (start attempt).

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.
Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources, so please rate my answer by using the stars at the top of the page. Payment for your question includes any follow-up questions you may have. Free trials and subscription questions still require ratings.
Thank you so much!

Did you have any luck with the relearn on this?

Hi Mike,
Thank you for the information, I was not successful and repeated this procedure 4 more times with still no success. I do not own a computer and can not check any codes or reset any codes. I just followed relearn for the key. The security light comes on stays lit and does not flash. No modules have been changed just the fuel pump. I got this from my son and it was drivable at the time, all I did was change the fuel pump and now I have this non running vehicle. It starts but then immediately shuts off after 2 seconds. He never had any trouble with the key before this could it be something else.

if the security light is coming on and staying on, it seems very unlikely to me it's any thing else.

However.

Check for any loose or missing/cracked vacuum hoses. Also, try unplugging the mass air flow sensor and see if the truck will start and idle. If it will, then I would replace that.

Let me know how you make out.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,
I am sorry I have not been able to try out the next suggestion you have provided me with. I work very long hours and there was no time yesterday. I will try and see if it helps me out later on tonight. If not can I still ask a question about it.

Yep sure can, it's no problem at all, just let me know how you make out. I;ll be here more then likely. I don't work Sunday's is all.