Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 89 chevy tbi that cranks from a cold start and runs…

Customer Question
I have a 89...

I have a 89 chevy tbi that cranks from a cold start and runs good until it warms, then runs rough and stalls everytime.. I can keep it running with the gas pedal but when i let off it stalls everytime.. It will immediately fire right back up though

Mechanic's Assistant: Is the check engine light on? Does the car stall at idle or when driving?

No check engine codes but a 12 and this is at idle and in gear

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model of your '89 Chevy?

Silverado 1500 350 tbi

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Silverado 1500 yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes,,, ive replace iac valve, map sensor, looked at injectors and will replace plugs tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

And coolant temp

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
12/1/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech replied 4 months ago
Wolfgang
Wolfgang, Master Auto Tech
Hello I’m Wolfgang. What happens when the vehicle starts to run rough and you spray carb spray into the intake does it smooth out? You may need 2 people Thanks
Do you mean,, into the throttle body bowl where the injectors are???

yes add more fuel like carb spray to see if will run smooth or better when the engine starts to run rough

Ok I'll try that on the morning
But I think it's already running rich b4 it stall
Could I use starter fluid?? Just asking cause I already have a can of it
Can try but it’s to volitile.
Ok I sprayed starter fluid into tbi and it tries to smooth out momentarily but still dies.. All spark plugs were black except one(#4) it was chocolate in color.. Starts up immediately but misses and died everytime

running too rich !!

please check your map sensor hose make sure that the hose is not clogged or pinched from throttle body to the map sensor. if in question replace the hose and then double check!!

Ok I'm about to do it now since I'm off today

ok

Blew air through the hose,, can feel it pretty good out the other end

i just wonder when hot the hose gets pinched off

From a cold start, it will only run about 2mins before it wants to shut off.. Is that really warm??
Also I checked voltage on the tps.. It seems to be working all the way to 5v wot

what is the ohm readings on the injectors?

cold and then when it starts to fail?

Give me a min, I'll check, but both injectors seem to be spraying constant in a spiral

i know but if the resistance is off it may spray more or less depending

Don't think I'm doing right.. Exactly how should I check the ohm readings

disconnect the injector plugs then set meter to ohms and measure between the 2 prongs of each injector and post readings!!

Left and right at 1.5

ok they are in spec . let me see something in the manual and will get back asap!!

thanks

I've gotten a txt saying contacted me but I can't see it
Chevy Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer! I apologize for the extended wait time you experienced, I've only just come online now and would like to assist you with your question.

You opted out the person helping, preventing further communication.

With everything that has already been hopefully ruled out and the fact that it happens when warm leads me to believe that the problem is likely an inaccurate oxygen sensor. Unplug the oxygen sensor, disconnect the battery to clear fuel adaptives, and then drive it with the sensor unplugged to see if it runs better. If it does then replace the sensor.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5 star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know.

Ok but I'm wondering now could it be possible that I may need a fuel pump

A bad fuel pump can't cause the engine to run rich.

well thats another thing,, how can i fully determine its running rich,, i changed the spark plugs and they were all black except one

If the plugs were black it's running rich.

whats next,, distributor??

The distributor can't cause the engine to run rich. See my previous post:

ive unplugged the wire before and still it stalled out,.. so should unscrew it from the exhaust
also the knock sensor is unplugged but theres no difference if i plug it back up

Has a backpressure test been done?

whats that??

A backpressure gauge is connected at the oxygen sensor location to check backpressure in the exhaust while the engine is running.

nope never done that,, what would that rule out

A restricted catalytic converter.

a new exhaust had been ran from manifold back and this problem still was going on before and after..

You're going to need a scan tool to monitor data to further diagnose it then.

whats a good scan tool that will read spark advance, coolant temperature, map sensor, throttle position, battery voltage, ect..

Any Snap On, OTC, Mac, Matco, etc should work as long as it's for this old of a vehicle with the proper adapters and software.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician