Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

No break lights. The brake fluid is fine. Changed recently.

Customer Question
No break lights. Mechanic's...

No break lights.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the brake fluid? How's the level and when was it last changed?

The brake fluid is fine. Changed recently. The lights are not working.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

Tahoe 1995

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Tahoe yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes. I checked the fuses.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/30/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd M, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Have you noticed if the high stop lamp is working or not?

When I say high stop lamp, I mean the brake light in the center that is mounted separate.

If you have checked the fuse already, and the center high mounted lamp is not functioning either, then the switch is faulty. If the high lamp does function, then you will need to test the white wire coming from the brake switch for power when the brakes are pressed. If the white wire is getting power, then you will need to replace the turn signal switch. Here, I am attaching the electrical information for the circuits so that you will have a clear understanding. I am also attaching the description of operation just in case.

If you require more information on this issue and/or are not satisfied, let me know, please, and I will attempt to assist you further on this. I hope this information points you in the right direction. If you have any further questions or concerns on this issue, feel free to ask. If you are satisfied, and have found this information helpful, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated and necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thank you.A positive rating does not close the session. We will still be able to communicate, and I will still continue to assist you with this issue as needed.
None of the brake lights are working. We checked the fuses and they are good.

I understand. If this is the case, then you will need to replace the brake light switch. If the fuse is good, then the switch is faulty. Here, I am attaching an electrical diagram where I have highlighted the information that shows the circuits that you are concerned with. As you can see the high lamp doesn't go through the turn switch. It gets its power from the brake switch. This means the brake switch is faulty. To cure your issue, replace the switch.

I can hear the switch click when I push the pedal down. Approximately how much would it cost to replace a switch?

Here, I am attaching part and labor pricing information for the stop lamp switch. The labor pricing is listed in hours and depends on the hourly rate of the shop. $50 should cover it. Total.

Just as a reminder, please, do not forget to rate the service, as it is necessary in order for experts to receive credit for answers provided. Thanks again.

Todd M
Todd M
Todd M, ASE Certified Technician