Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2005 yukon xl 5.3, just rebuilt the engine. on

Customer Question
I have a 2005...

I have a 2005 yukon xl 5.3, just rebuilt the engine. on engine stand i was able to turn the engine over by prying on the flywheel . i put the engine back in truck, when putting on torque converter bolts engine was very hard turning. next day when go everything back together could not turn engine with starter or by prying on flywheel or balancer bolt. ended up pulling engine back out. put engine back on stand but still could not turn engine (even broke the balancer bolt). pulled oil pan just loosened the main bolts and engine turned. got plastic gauge and measured 0.001-0.00015 . i had the block cleaned and crank polished and was told to use std size bearings when i had it apart the first time. i got another set of crank and rod bearings put them in and measured same gap. again tightened everything down and could turn engine from flywheel without much effort. next morning came back out and engine was harder to turn on the stand but could still do it. put engine in truck, was able to turn, bolted trans up and starter, got starter to turn engine, put rest of engine together w/o spark plugs, starter could turn it. put plugs in engine would start and stall, did this about 6 times, realized i put the fuel pump relay in backwards, flipped it around and heard the pump this time, at same time decided lets put the antifreeze in real quick and it should fire up. engine won't turn. i can pry on flywheel and have someone hit key and it will bump. it takes about 2 starter hits to move 1 tooth. i have not idea where to go from hear. also pulled the spark plugs to releave any compression and still nothing. do you have any ideas? the engine has a block heater so we plugged it in thinking the cold antifreeze caused the metal to swell/srink, but everything is warmed up now and still the same. i am in michigan

Mechanic's Assistant: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?

215k car ran good until the lifter went bad and had to pull motor

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Yukon XL yourself? What have you tried so far?

Myself, read the long text above

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/28/2017
Chevy Mechanic: david craig, Auto Mechanic replied 7 months ago
david craig
david craig, Auto Mechanic

Hi my name is ***** ***** I'll be more than happy to assist you. can you still turn the crank manually?

no, using prybar on flywheel
i get a payment error, clicked onlink to update payment and it won't go any farther

you need to pull the heads.... you have pistons and valves with no clearance.... hopefully nothing is too damaged.

engine was able to turn over with starter and half started about 6 times. it would start and stall like running out of gas. we then realized the fp relay was in backwards, we added antifreeze and then the engine wouldn't turn at all
when had engine out 2nd time checked timing chain and it was aligned correctly

ok, i will open this up to the others to chime in.

Chevy Mechanic: Cary York,
 replied 7 months ago
Cary York
Phone call session started
your automated phone call came in. was hold and then it disconnected
Chevy Mechanic: kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech replied 7 months ago
kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech

Can you post the vin number please so I can look up the correct information for you?

I also have a few questions about the crank. Was the crank replaced? When you used palstic gauge, did you clean the crank, block, and bearings to make sure there was no oil on anything?

no crank was not replaced, just polished
3gkfk16z25g178371
the first plastic gauge oil still on upper bearing half non on lower, after new bearing, no oil on both

Did you gauge the rods as well as the mains?

no on rods. when we had loosened the main bolts the crank turned easy so i knew the rods weren't the issue, replaced the rod bearings again because we had nicked one when we put in the pistons.

Now this part is very important, What where your readings with the plastic gauge for each journal of the crank?

between 0.001 and 0.0015

And you fully torqued down all the mains at the same time to get these readings?

no, each one individually
when we put in the main caps all the numbers were on the same side, the number 5 can only go in 1 direction, can the others be put in backwards?

You should have done all of them at the same time. It is possible that the crank was dropped and is no longer true. Yes the mains can be put in backwards. You have to make sure the bearing tang is in the correct location. 1 and 5 can only go in one way not just 5. 1 would be to the front of the engine. I hate to say it but you will have to pull the engine back out so we can go over a few things. Are you able to send pics so I can see what you have and how things are put in? This will be a great help.

it may not be until the week between Christmas and New Years before I can get the engine out of truck. very busy at work, this is my sons truck and he is working alot and has finals in 3 classes within the next 2 weeks. its finding time now to get it out
i just talked my son and he thinks we have the ears on the mains all facing the same direction from what he remembers

That is not a problem. I work just about every day so when you can get back to work on it, I should be online to help you. Can you remove the oil pan with out pulling the engine out with out to much trouble?

number 1 was able to go in either direction with the front cover on

The side bolts will not go in if the caps are in backwards, but if you reversed the caps, and the front is in the rear and the rear is in the front, you will have big problems and the side bolts would go in.

i wasn't able to before but i didn't pull the front diff out of it. the oil pan can drop down but has pull rewards with the front diff in.. when we pulled the engine the 2nd time i had to take 2 of the diff bolts out to lower is an inch so the pan would clear because torque converter was still attached. so i think i will try to take the diff out and see it i can pull pan then
no not reverse buy putting 1 at the rear, reverse as in the ears on the bearing caps all pointing same direction, 1 is still at front of block

I was not sure if this was a 4x4 or not. If you can drop the pan, you may not have to pull the engine back out.

Back to the caps, Did you number the caps, or where they already marked?

they were already cast in the main caps

When you get time, if you can pull the pan off and send me a few pics of the caps, we can see what is going on.

i finally got in contact with the machine shop that did the work and he mentioned that the ears on the bearing caps, one of them points a different direction than the rest. thinking about it and what my son remembers is that i think we have them all pointing the same direction. if that is the case then all the cast numbers wouldn't be on the same side of the block, one would be different.
i will send a pic when i get to the engine again
machine shop guy said if were put in backwards then the plastic gauge wouldn't show it because i am checking top to bottom and if the caps were in backwards the binding would probably be side to side. i do know that the issue is in the mains and that would make some sense since nothing else does

I do not believe that they are correct. All the numbers should be on the same side. Do you remember what cap you loosened that freed up the crank?

no, we had just loosened them all but didn't actually remove them or touched the caps and the engine turned easy

I am thinking the center cap is where the problem is. The trust bearing on the 3rd cap may not have enough side clearance.

that is possible i didn't check it but i did try to move the crank front to back, manual says to do that when torque the mains to align thrust washer, the crank didn't appear to move but if i remember the gap is very small like the bearing gap

All the cap ears should point towards the rear of the engine, except the last one. Each of the caps should also have 2 dimples on the top of them, and they should be on the passenger side of the engine.

When you torqued the bolts down for the main caps, how did you did it?

i torqued per the gm manual, inners 15lb then 80 deg, outer 15lb then 53deg then side bolts to 18lb, i am looking at the manual to see if it says that about the the dimples and it doesn't BUT looking at the picture closely it shows the dimples on the first 4 on the same side and #5 on the other. i do know we have all the dimples on the same side and i thinkg they are on the driver side

That is not good. That would put the thrust bearing in a bind. That would also mean that you have the caps in backwards, and 1 is 5 and 5 is 1.

5 ears on cap can only point forward because of rear cover overlaps it, front cover doesn't overlap the #1 cap
i will have to pull pan to see

But cap 1 and 5 are the same and can be interchanged. I believe that you have cap 1 on the back of the engine and cap 5 on the front.

i do remember when we first tore down the engine that i needed to mark the bearing caps, main and rods, before we take them off because of how important it is to put back in the same location and noticed that the mains already had the numbers cast in them so i didn't have to mark them. i just had to mark the rods. and i do know that you number from front to back of engine because that is how cylinders are numbered

You are correct. All of the ears should point to the rear of the engine, even the last one.

i am looking in the gm manual at the pictures they are showing and it shows the #5 dimples on driver side and the other 4 on pass side

The diagram is wrong, all of the dimples should be on the passenger side.