Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2000 Silverado I have been having a loud howling…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 Silverado...
I have a 2000 Silverado I have been having a loud howling during deacceleration only at around 20mph or so. I was thinking that I could have a bad pinion bearing so I bought a rebuild kit and figured while I was in there I would do a new ring and pinion. I tried to tighten up the pinion nut with no change. In fact, I don't even think it moved.Fast forward a couple of months, I have taken the cover off of the rear end and now I am not so sure it is a bearing issue. I don't have any play in the yoke up, down, left, or right, but I do seem to have a decent amount of rotational play (or backlash as I understand it).Also, the fluid seemed to have a lot of metal in it. Not shavings, but just the powdery type.Could this be the crush sleeve has been crushed too far and now my backlash is too far out of tolerance? If that is the case, can I just throw another one in there and be OK?I am trying not to have to do a full rebuild if I don't have to.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/27/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 4 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Look at the ring and pinion gears and see if they show excessive wear, you can see the thickness of where the gear is wearing compared to where there is no wear on the teeth and see how much thinner it is.If they are about the same then most likely the gears are o.k. and it is very possible you have an issue with the crush sleeve.Anytime you back off the pinion nut and remove it and replace the gears the sleeve needs replaced.

But to much back lash/free play can also indicate an issue with the ring gear not contacting the pinion properly.This can be adjusted with the correct tools and torque.There are special alignment tools for the ring and pinion set up that need to be used to align this properly.

But it is very possible the play in the crush sleeve or being crushed too much can also cause this issue as this moves the pinion out further from the ring gear with too many crushes on it.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

I took pictures of the ring gear. Can you give me your opinion?
20171126_185347.jpg2017112...jpg20171126_185404.jpg2017112...jpg20171126_185332.jpg2017112...jpg20171126_185421.jpg2017112...jpg

It doesn't look worn down but the pattern almost looks like it was contacting the top part of the ring when it should be more centered and lower.Similar to this here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/qfu9gww1gvhxn2f/ring-11-27.jpg?dl=0

You may need to replace the ring and pinion and crush sleeve and have it installed properly and adjusted with the correct tools to get this set properly.In some cases, you can re use the ring and pinion but it does need set properly.The metal is most likely wear on the top edge of the ring gear as well as pinion gear.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here or above ( should be a link to click on ) as this is how I receive credit for my time, this can be done at any time and you can still come back here and reply if needed.Your 5-star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Pete, Auto Service Technician