Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My Chevy Malibu won’t start. No the battery is fine. It’s…

Customer Question
My Chevy Malibu won’t...

My Chevy Malibu won’t start

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?

No the battery is fine. It’s auto theft was activated

Mechanic's Assistant: What year is your Malibu?

2007

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes and just playing with the ignition and key on the door

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/27/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Pete, Auto Service Technician replied 7 months ago
Pete, Auto Service Technician

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases, I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Are you seeing security or theft or a picture of a car with a lock across it on the dash with this issue? If so follow the relearn below.If this relearn does not work then you will need to have the fault codes checked in the engine and body ecu's to see what codes are set and those codes diagnosed and repaired to resolve this issue as the fault may be with the body ecu at fault or the immobilizer sensor that reads the key needing replaced.In most cases all that is needed is the relearn below with a good charge in your battery.

30-Minute Relearn Procedure

1. With your key, turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.

2. Observe the security indicator. After approximately 10 minutes, the telltale will turn OFF.
3. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
4. Repeat steps 1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes.

Important: The vehicle learns the key transponder information and/or passwords on the ignition switch transition from OFF to RUN. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

5. With your key, start the vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service, your 5-star rating is appreciated ( should be a link to click on here or above).You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete