Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Chevy 4.3L vortec S10 Blazer 2wd. It isn't really

Customer Question
2001 Chevy 4.3L vortec S10...
2001 Chevy 4.3L vortec S10 Blazer 2wd. It isn't really throwing any consistent codes, but the engine exhaust is so rich that I just don't want to drive the vehicle. It stinks. I've replaced several parts, including O2 sensors. The only odd (odd to me) thing is that Bank1 Sensor 1 never fluctuates beyond .440-.450v on the live diagnostics check with my odd tool. I swapped sensors between banks, but it makes no difference in this reading.With the ignition key on but engine not running, I checked the voltage on the 4 wires leading to the sensor: yellow is 4.45v, white stripe is 1.24v, black is 0.1v, & red is 12.4v.I just want to trim the fuel burn so it doesn't smell so rich all the time. Miserable.Thanks for any thoughts,
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Gary, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician

Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.Ask me about added features such as phone contact anytime if you wish !

what is bank 2 sensor 1 reading ?

during a live data stream it reads between .100-.900 give or take a little.
I have a bad cough so a phone call isn't my best option at the moment.

if that one bank is fixed with a new [email protected] sensor and the wiring looks good to it this comes down to a bad spider injector or a bad computer

it should not be fixed where it is at

ohm or check the wiring very good and if the wiring is good replace the injection unit it by chance it still does this then the computer is bad

please dont forget to rate me here at Justanswer

you can always get me back for FREE for any follow up any time with this question even after you rate me here at Justanswer

if you have any questions please ask as i do not get credit for my work until you rate me here at Justanswer

Engine runs and drives fine, always starts right up, is reliable, etc. I just can't stand the rude exhaust smell anymore. I'm not sure the fact that the O2 sensor isn't (apparently) adjusting the fuel trim is the cause of my rich smell. The fuel injection system was replaced less than 1000 miles ago. All the wires to the sensor are passing voltage from the computer.
Hello?

it takes a bit to type back on my end

with it smelling rich that bank is running rich

since it is just that bank fixed v/s the other side with a new o2 its wiring or the injection or the computer causing this issue

Gary, I know it's running rich on that bank; hence my question. I'm looking for assistance with diagnostics that I haven't already completed. It doesn't make sense to me that the O2 sensor would read a consistent voltage regardless of the situation if it was an injector (again, the injectors are new). So this leaves me with your assessment that it is the computer? Are these type failures common to these ECU's?
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** i'm here to assist you with your Blazer

The first thing i need you or someone to do is put a fuel pressure gauge on the vehicle. Turn ignition on with the engine NOT running and see if the fuel pressure drops

Todd, I haven't checked it lately, but I did check it before I replaced the spider harness and regulator about 1000 miles ago. I reasonably confident it is holding pressure.

You need to check it again and i'll tell you why. You may recall when you replaced the spider the 2 fuel lines that go into it from the back. These plastic lines were notorious for splitting and dumping fuel into the lower intake especially after being moved

OK, I can do it again, but I'm still confused on why the live data trim on the OBDII monitor shows no fluctuating voltage on that Bank. Would the fuel pressure or leak cause it to read a constants mean voltage all the time?

I'm with you 100% on that...i just want to eliminate that possiblity

I thought if the O2 sensor was sensing a rich condition it would or should read at the higher end of its voltage range; e.g. .990? This thing never fluctuates off of .445
what if that's not it? What next? Gary above suggested it may be the computer. I'll rule out the spider harness and fuel pressure regardless one day later this coming month.

Yes you are right but unfortunately we have to do a process of elimination at this point....we'll figure it out......i have 35 + yrs of gm experience I will stick with you until it's fixed

OK Todd,
I'll check it.

Ok...please let me know the results

I will. I gotta get this thing fixed.

I'm on it

Are you gonna be on this forum for a bit tonight? I may go ahead and try to check it tonight.

Maybe another 30-60 mins

Do you still need assistance with your Blazer?

Todd Audette
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician