Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 Chevy Astro 6 cyl I was driving along and van was

Customer Question
slowing down I pressed accelerated...
2001 Chevy Astro 6 cyl I was driving along and van was slowing down I pressed accelerated to floor and it keep slowing down and engine dies. Than was running very rough. At idle and when driving at all speeds. I tried engine start spray to no avail. So there’s 2 problems. Before van died in the previous month to try to fix vibration. I replaced distributor and cap and wires and ignition coil. I replaced crank position sensor. I tested all fuses. I replaced MAF and cleaned throttle body. PCs valve is good. Still runs very rough.Then engine dies. Like no gas. Tank is full of gas. Gas pressure at shredder valve is 60 psi. Tested all fuses none bad. My next thought was to check how much spark was going from ignition coil to distributor cap. Oh I checked timing chain by finding top dead center and distributor lines up perfect.how to test coil and if that’s ok. How to test distributor at nite sprayed mist water and saw no arching. But how much spark measure should I get between plug wire to spark plugs. I’m thinking the spark is very weak. I checked plugs and they look fine.No codes but probably because it won’t start did show number 6 cyl misfire which has always been there.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 minute by:
11/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor replied 7 months ago
rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor

Hi, I'm Ron and I will be helping you today.
Stand by for a moment while I prepare your answer.

Check compression and also check for a plugged exhaust.

Please understand that I don't know your skill level or tools
you have to assist us. Also understand that I can't see, smell,
hear, or touch the vehicle either, so your patience is
appreciated. JA is a great Q/A site, but it does not replace a
repair shop. So please don’t shoot the messenger if I have to
deliver bad news:)
If you are satisfied with my answer, I would greatly
appreciate a 5 star rating now before you leave the site and I
will still assist you after you have rated me too if another
question pops up. I don’t get credit for helping you until
you rate me

Thanks, Ron

Fuel compression?
Cyl are about 120 fuel is 60
How to check clogged exhaust?

Engine cylinder compression. Also check for full exhaust flow.

Pull out the front O2 sensor or disconnect the exhaust manifold.

Thanks again and please remember to rate me 5 stars now
and keep this link in case you need me again later on.
I don’t get credit for assisting you until you rate me

Compression runs 120

Great, then check all the other things I told you to do.

My goal is to assist you in the repair of your vehicle by
supplying you with well educated information. I may not
always have the exact fix you wanted to hear, but my job is
to get you on the right track, which I always do. I can’t hear,
see, smell or touch your vehicle from where I’m at, so your
understanding of that is greatly appreciated. There are no
magical answers, but I do my best to guide you in the right
direction.