Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

THe engine is shot. 2011 Malibu LS. I'm just looking to see…

Customer Question
THe engine is shot...

THe engine is shot. 2011 Malibu LS. I'm just looking to see if the timing has to be adjusted when I change out the engine, or if the computer will look at the timing sensors and calibrate it automatically

Mechanic's Assistant: Which particular sensor are you asking about? And have any trouble codes been triggered?

The only code coming up now is P0011, I pulled both the intake and exhaust sensors and they're about 20% blocked with netal shavings. Between that and knocking in the engine, I suspect it's not going to be worth it to save the engine

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing major. I have those sensors on order but what's the chance they alone would cause that knock?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Just getting back to the original question: does the computer autocalibrate the timing to its current position when the new engine goes in, or do I have to adjust manually?

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/26/2017
Chevy Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help,

Yes, the computer uses the input from the crankshaft and the cam sensors to determine when the spark plugs will be fired.

Do you have any reason for why a 2011 engine would have worn? Lack of oil? Overheating?

That knock is pretty loud and the car can't operate under any real acceleration. The only code I'm getting is P0011, but when I pulled the intake and exhaust sensors from the engine I found both about 20% covered in metal shards. I didn't find much metal in the oil when I drained it but I don't know what's in the pan
I'm pretty sure an oil change and sensor replacement alone won't clear this up.

If you are finding metal the engine is done for. I was wondering if you knew why.

You can find used engines through car-part.com If you have further questions please let me know, if nothing further please complete the rating.
Thanks

JUst one quick question: My understanding is those shards are likely to come from the rod bearings. What happens beyond that that's considered unfixable?
Because I'm warming to trying to rebuild the engine if possible. 2.4's have a very poor rep - this is my third one on this car - and I'm getting to like the idea of a spare

Everything is fixable but it comes down to the cost. I don't know if you are paying for labor but if you are the engine has to come out for disassembly then to the machine shop to be reworked and then installed.

If you get a used engine then it is just swap out the old for the replacement saving labor and downtime.

If this is the third engine in this car I have to ask how you are maintaining it? Regular oil changes? Hard driving? What is killing these engines?

Are you still with me? Do you have further questions?