Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

2001 blazer. Parking brake is stuck on and won't release.

Customer Question
Second opinion] 2001 blazer...

Second opinion] 2001 blazer. Parking brake is stuck on and won't release.

Mechanic's Assistant: Have you tried pumping the regular brake a few times?

Yes. the vehicle rolls but makes a noticeable noise.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Blazer yourself? What have you tried so far?

I am fixing it myself. I have gotten underneath the dash and confirmed the cable to the handle is attached. I can reach up to the arm that the cable pulls and pull it with my fingers, but it still doesn't release. I can't tell now if the pedal assembly is stuck/broken, or if the brake shoe really is stuck.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Bought it used about a year ago on ebay. the wife drove it home from the dropoff point and said it maide the noise then, and also some smell of brakes. So suspect at best it got stuck when loading onto the truck or during transport. Either way, think it's been stuck for a while.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Chevy
Answered in 1 hour by:
11/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 4 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi my name is ***** ***** i'm here to assist you with your Blazer

Never mind. The previous guy was no help at all, and I figured it out for myself waiting for you.

There are 3 parking brake cables in your vehicle. 1 from the pedal to around 1/2 way down the vehicle and then 2 more that go to each wheel. Usually the front cable never fails...your problem is with one or both of the rear cables

Nope, wrong. That's what the last guy said too. And I kept telling him it was the parking brake assembly and asking and asking for help on how to remove it. He never listened to any of it, and apparently neither did you. I've got the parking brake assembly out now, and the brakes are released, and I can see the gear is all jammed up inside there. This was a total waste of my time. Refund my money, cancel my subscription. Please.

I'm sorry you feel that way but you didn't specify in your question that you already knew what the problem was and that you just wanted information on replacement

If you had bothered to read the previous string (wouldn't that be logical for a "second opinion" for an "ok" first experience??), you would have seen me indicating it was most likely the pedal assembly, asking how to isolate it for certain, and then how to proceed with removal. Perhaps you missed that. But even in the description in the original question you can see I have already isolated it to one of these two, so knowing how to address one or the other would have been the appropriate response, not misdiagnosing (as had the previous "first opinion") that it had something to do with the cables. I could have lived with that. But casting blame in my direction, in any way, when I'm paying for the privilege is unacceptable. This went from an "ok" experience to downright "bad" on that count. I would prefer not to hear from you again, except to hear (from someone) that any charge on my card has been reversed. If I do not get that response, I will contact my credit card company and report an unauthorized charge. Goodbye.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician