Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

It struggles to pick up speed and acts like it will stall at…

Customer Question
It struggles to pick...

It struggles to pick up speed and acts like it will stall at stop lights

Mechanic's Assistant: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?

When I come to a stop or stop light it seems as tho it wants to cut out

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the make/model/year of your car?

2004 Chevy Cavalier

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Cavalier yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing has been tried.. I do know the fuel system is new

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

No ma'am

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 months ago
Mechanic01
Mechanic01, ASE Certified Technician

Hello my name is ***** ***** welcome to just answers! I will be assisting you with all of your vehicle questions today. Give me one moment while I review your question and come back with a answer. Please be aware I do not know your skill level or abilities so I will be asking a lot of questions and in a lot of cases we will respond to each other quite a lot before we find a solution. As far as phone calls are concerned that is the system prompting you, not me, and they do cost more money, I prefer text but in some cases a phone call is required. If I don’t answer right away or quickly in conversation I am helping another customer or have stepped out for a moment and will respond as soon as I can. Ok lets get started!

Is there a check engine light on?

The slow speed to pick up has been going on for a couple weeks... On 11/19 I got an oil change and on 11/24 is when the sputtering at stops started...
I have a code for oxygen sensors

I would check the throttle body and the idle are control valve to make sure they are both clean and function properly, in most cases both always need to be cleaned and assessed

Is that part of the transmission?? Someone said the tranny..

that is on the engine actually, are you going to be working on this?

No I have a mechanic... My engine was replaced about a year ago..

so how can I help if your taking it to a mechanic?

I hadn't planned on taking it to a mechanic..i was just asking to be sure of what part was malfunctioning

its hard to say without doing some diagnosis, we would just be guessing at this point