Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a 2002 3500 Chevy express diesel 6.5L with the

Customer Question
I have a 2002...

I have a 2002 3500 Chevy express diesel 6.5L with the security light on solid, and intermittent shut off, especially while drive....unsafe. Any suggestions to bypassing, or shutting off, or resetting the security system?

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the light flash, blink or stay solid? Have you tried to reset the security system?

I've already done the 10 minute, and 30 minute relearn procedures. I got the van to fire, and is currently running, but the light it still solid

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Express yourself? What have you tried so far?

Yes, by myself. Both 10 and 30 minute relearn procedures

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

My boss bought it as a work van from an auction, and for whatever reason, the dash inst cluster was replaced with a gas engine cluster. Not sure if that's messing with things...

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/25/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Todd Audette, Chevy Technician replied 7 months ago
Todd Audette
Todd Audette, Chevy Technician

Hi My name is ***** ***** i'm reviewing your question for diagnosis and will be with you soon

The shutting off while driving would not have anything to do with the security system so that's something completely different. A security system problem would either be a no crank or start and stall. As far as the security light being on constant could absolutely be the cluster seeing it's not the correct one. That would have to be replaced with the right one in order to eliminate that as a possible cause and then go from there.

Would you have any thoughts on what would be making it shut off while driving? It's completely random.

That could be multiple things.... does it just quit like you turned the key off or stumble and stall

it just shuts down like I shut the key off, no stumbling or anything. That's why I was thinking it was security related, if the system was thinking it was stolen.
Is there a way to test or tell if the BCM is bad? I tried cutting and combining the yellow and orange/black wire from the 3-wire connector that plugs into the top of the key tumbler. It looked like that solved a lot of people's issue in older model GM vehicles. I did that, then did the 30 minute relearn procedure. It started and ran, but the light was still on.

The bcm in this particular vehicle plays no role in the security system. I'm reviewing schematics between a gas and diesel

Have you or anyone else scanned the vehicle for trouble codes?

Ok. Good to know about the BCM. I actually just scanned it about 20 minutes ago. It's showing P0236, P0238, P1643.So I did a quick search on them. Looks like P1643 is a "no wait to start light" ....due to the gas inst cluster. The other 2 look to be waste gate codes. Which I kinda figured. It does blow a bit of smoke under load, and the turbo seems to surge some under load as well. If that is indeed what those codes are, no real big deal, I can swap out the waste gate. But I wouldn't assume those codes would have anything to do with the security light being on?
I can deal with the check engine light being on for no wait to start, unless thats causing other issues as well. What I'm dealing trying to get resolved is whatever is making it just randomly shut off, especially while driving....kind of a safety issue ��. That and the security light...

Ok. I understand your frustration. My recommendation is to put the correct cluster in first. The schematics for the security lamp being controlled are completely different between a gas and diesel engine. I suggest you fix this first because i believe you have 2 separate problems so lets fix one at a time

Yea, I was planning on doing that anyway. Hopefully that helps things. Would you have any thoughts on it just randomly shutting off? I would assume it has to be something electronic....but it's an older 6.5L, mechanical injector pump, etc so it's not like a newer gas engine with all electronic controlled injectors.
I'm reading a lot of posts regarding the stalling while driving being related to the PMD.....any thoughts on that?

Does it start right back up?

Most of the times. Sometimes I have to shut the key off (while in neutral rolling down the road), turn it back to the on position for a few seconds, like I was waiting for glow plugs, then fire it back up. Sometimes it will take a few cycles of this before it fires up

Have you or anyone scanned it for codes