Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Starter wont disengage after starting just keeps running…

Customer Question
Starter wont disengage after...

Starter wont disengage after starting just keeps running changed starter changer ignition switch in steering column everything nothing is working

Mechanic's Assistant: Does the engine turn over at all? Is this the original starter?

Starts right up original starter does the same thing

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

2008 impala 3.5

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Impala yourself? What have you tried so far?

Fixing myself change starter changed ignition switch

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Its doing the same thing with the original starter

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Dan, Technician replied 7 months ago
Dan, Technician

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Does starter turn over with the key off?

hello my name is ***** ***** it doesn't car starts up fine, just when its running, the starter is running too

This would point toward a failed PCM. If it was wiring problem would happen all of the time. The ignition switch sends signal to the PCM then the PCM activates the starter relay and starter relay sends signal to the starter. You can replace the starter relay in fuse box under the hood, that is about the only chance it is something simple you can do yourself. After that the dealership will need to fix problem and to have PCM replaced is about a $600 job. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

i replace the relay in the fuse box under the hood with another relay that was in there it did nothing would my alternator be of any cause to this?

No the alternator wouldn't cause this so problem is the PCM which requires dealership because they need factory scantool to program vin to new module. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

how does the pcm go bad?

It usually just happens or if a wire/component shorts out but for this problem it would be a random incident as a shorted wire would only cause problem to the circuit that is having problems. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Ever get problem figured out? Please do not forget to rate answer. Thanks.