Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

I have a chevy 350. Got real hot and warped the heads. Got…

Customer Question
Hi I have a...

Hi I have a chevy 350. Got real hot and warped the heads. Got that fixed but no I have low oil pressure at idle. when I changed the oil before starting it had alot of antifreeze in it. Will that cotribute to oil pump failure?

Mechanic's Assistant: How old is your oil pump? Has the check engine light come on?

Under 25000 miles. Hi pressure pump.

Mechanic's Assistant: What is the model/year of your Chevy?

1989 suburban r1500

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?

Replaced the heads and intake with vortec heads and intake. Is there a seal in the pump that got ruined when it got hot?

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?

Nope that is it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 8 months ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you. please allow me a couple of minutes to gather some basic info.

Roy

ok

the most common issue here is the main and rod bearings. when the head gasket failed, coolant gets into the oil pan and contaminates the bearings. the coolant removes the babbit material from the bearing surface. I would have oil pressure tested manually. if it is low, then I would have the oil pan removed and the bearings checked for clearances.

Roy

Hi Roy. What is babbittt material and will a heavier oil help
?

babbit is what the bearing is made of.

it will help only temporarily