Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

My son needs to check transmission fluid and add some in his…

Customer Question
My son needs to...

My son needs to check transmission fluid and add some in his 2002 Chevy Malibu, there is no dipstick

Mechanic's Assistant: When was the last time your transmission fluid was checked? Changed?

He never checked

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you fixing your Malibu yourself? What have you tried so far?

Nothing yet, he cant find where to check it. Yesterday he was having trouble with it slipping and making a hard jerk

Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Chevy
11/22/2017
Chevy Mechanic: Ron Z., - Chevy Tech - replied 7 months ago
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today. Please give me a moment to review your question and type out my reply. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

Unfortunately, due to the setup of the transmission system on this vehicle, there is no actual dipstick. To check the fluid level on this vehicle, there is a "oil level control plug" on the front, lower side of the engine. To gain access, the vehicle will need to be raised on a hoist and the plug removed while the engine is running and in Park. The fluid level must be even with the bottom of the threaded plug hole. If fluid is needed, it will need to be injected into this hole until the level is correct. Then reinstall the plug. Unfortunately, it's a bit of a process. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news here! Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Were there any other questions I could help you with today?

HI! I noticed this Q&A was still open and you did not leave a rating, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this? Any other questions you had? If you have no further questions, Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page.