Chevy

Chevrolet Repair Questions? Ask a Chevy Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Chevy

Getting a #1 cylendar misfiring code and wondering what the

ideal PSI range should be...
getting a #1 cylendar misfiring code and wondering what the ideal PSI range should be on a chevy 5.3 liter engine?
JA: Have you seen the misfire code before? Has the car been stalling?
Customer: no...runs great...never had a problem...to be honest, I have never trusted Dealerships and I am not certain the misfiring code is as a result of a compression test. I think it is likely an injector or coil
JA: What is the model/year of your Chevy?
Customer: 2004 Chevy suburban, 5.3 v8. not flex fuel
JA: Are you fixing your Suburban yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am considering it. The plugs and wires are less than 10000 miles old. Check engine light came on and I cleared it out to where the only code tripping is the Cylinder 1 misfire.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: but no power loss, no noise, no issues of any kind.
11/22/2017
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

When you say "ideal PSI" - are you referring to cylinder compression?

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
sir. The dealership is currently running a cylinder compression test and I told them I would like to see the hard numbers. I got the code over a year ago, and the light has come and gone several times. Again, never a hiccup or stall.

Ok. Great! Thank-you! Please give me one moment to type out some info for you. Sit tight one minute... I'll be right back!

Thanks for holding!

The "official" GM word for cylinder compression on this vehicle is:

------------------

2004 Chevy Truck Suburban 4WD V8-5.3L VIN T

SPECIFICATIONS

The minimum compression in any one cylinder should not be less than 70 percent of the highest cylinder. No cylinder should read less than 690 kPa (100 psi) .

--------------

When a cylinder has low compression, 99.9% of the time, there is a definite "skip" or chug to the engine. If you are not getting this, or it's minimal at best, ***** ***** have to agree with you- this will more commonly be a failing ignition coil or a partially-clogged injector or intermittently failing injector. Please be kind enough to leave a rating for our Q&A using the 'stars' at the top of the page or click 'Accept' when I have answered all your questions. A 5-star rating is very much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
two years ago he The dealership rated it 130 psi, the car has 180k miles and I figured the less than full is just natural wearing on the cylinders, but I wanted a solid second opinion. Thank you for your time today.

You're welcome! Glad I could be of some help today! Please remember to leave a rating for our Q&A using the stars at the top of the page! Have a great day!

Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Ron Z.
Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -